Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

newer mustang driveline in 64 body

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Default newer mustang driveline in 64 body

is it feasible to take the driveline from a 04-06 mustang gt and install it into a 64 fairlane or falcon. i have no idea if the rear end widths are even close. i know it will not be a simple bolt in exchange but i do have mechanical ability. i have owned mustangs and fairlanes in the past but it has been a few years since i have built a car. the newer engines are impressive for their power output and would like to build a good dependable driver with the classic looks
but with the new technology...thanks for your input

Old 03-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Default RE: newer mustang driveline in 64 body

If you want real power modify an older 351W. Don't put that newer soupy crap in a good body. It's a shame. Like putting a sh**ty Chevy motor in a '30's Ford. If you really want something cool - get a Flathead Ford V-8 engine. All the parts you're missing you'll never miss. Flatheads used to be the prime choice of racers before the Boss Ford blocks with 4-bolt mains. Plus I've known them to crank out an impressive 500,000 miles plus on one block. Baffit (poured) bearings kick *** if done right.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:49 PM

I think it is all up to the individual, I don't agree with putting a different brand drivetrain in a car but I think the newer technology is nice and a lot of time the drivability is better. I myself have a 65 fastback that I wouldn't evn think of putting a newer drivetrain in but I have other cars that it is an option on. I think you will find putting a 4.6 in your Mustang or Fairlane will require some changes in the engine compartment such as the shock towersbut as far as the rearend they may be very similar unless you are looking for an independent rear suspention.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:14 PM

I'd agree that putting a newer computer in place of an 80's model would be an improvement. And it is up to the individual. But I can vouch for the differences in that new systems suck compared to 70's and back deals. If you gave me the choice of diagnosing a new system or an old one - I'd take the old one - be done in 5 minutes and go have fun. (Meanwhile imagine the fun of diagnosing one of those newer sensors gone awry out of how many? -in a way the computer tester can't check - it happens). Good luck new guy - I'll just be drivin' by. New to me = hassle. If you know anything about it - there's no other way to put it.