Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino There 1960s classics have not been forgetten, whether it is on the dragstrip or at any car show, they are still all well represented.

Random Bogging Down & Other Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 11:16 AM
Default Random Bogging Down & Other Issues

I have a classic 65 F100 with a 72 Gran Torino 302. I am kind of stuck on an issues here. While at cruising speed at random times, I loose throttle. The engine bogs down. I can pump the gas/pedal to floor, but nothing happens. Ill pull to the side of the road and stop, then the engine picks back up again and runs fine. Its completely random. I just recently replaced carb (Edelbrock 1405) I also adjusted fuel mix on carb, new fuel lines, distributor (flamethrower ignitor 2), (has older master blaster 2 ignition coil), new plugs, delphi mechanical fuel pump (had electric fuel pump), new battery. Installed new negative lead on battery and new ground lead to frame. . Idle RPM is set at 600. It also runs a little rough and when engaging into reverse, it wants to stall. While at idle and my headlights are on, the gauges and headlights flicker until I give more rpms. Tested battery/alt and the battery voltage is all over the place. Has original wiring harness under dash! Also wanted to add, that my gph is way, way down. A 1/4 tank only lasts about 30 miles!
Any thoughts for issues of bogging down, etc?
UPDATE: I FIXED THE FLICKERING HEADLIGHTS BY INSTALLING NEW VOLTAGE REGULATOR! RUNS BETTER NOW AND THE PROBLEM WITH REVERSE IS GONE FROM ADJUSTING IDLE AND CARB.

Last edited by AuHunter78; 04-03-2022 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:31 PM

seems like you have more then one issue.
the lights dimming at Idle is your alternator... or Voltage regulator...
if you can change over to a Ford 3g 1 wire...
When driving and the engine stalls or stops running, check the coil for heat... I've had it happen to me and
a few others... the coil gets hot..
Check for vacuum leaks... vacuum lines then around the intake, carb,
These are just general idea's... that you can check on.
Best

Old 04-03-2022, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I actually updated my thread just now. It was a voltage regulator. I replaced it a few months ago. It fixed the flickering. Runs better now that I tuned carb. I am still having the bog down issue though. I re-installed 1405 carb with the new carb I bought to see if the new carb was off. Still bogs down. I am now wondering if my delphi mechanical fuel pump is bad.