Ford Bronco One of the original SUVs, offered in both a full size Bronco, or the more compact Bronco II.

92 Bronco Stalling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Default 92 Bronco Stalling Issue

Hey, I have a 1992 Bronco with 180k on it. 5.0 E4OD trans. Trans has around 230k on it. Okay so my trucks surges all the time. Sometimes it surges terribly in gear at an idle. Sometimes it surges so much it stalls in gear at idle. Sometimes it stalls immediately after switching gears ie park to reverse, drive to reverse. Recently (less than 3k) I have replaced cap rotor button, all 8 wires and plugs. Pulled EGR and cleaned it. Disconnected IAC at idle. Truck shuts right off, so that's good. Found two vacuum leaks to a device up against the fire wall behind intake mani I am assuming EGR Solenoid. Fixed them. I found a wire harness back there, not connected to anything. Felt around the device at the back of the manifold and couldn't find a connection the wire went to. I am not throwing any CEL codes. I hooked directed vacuum to EGR, truck ran worse. Fuel Filter has less than 30k on it. Only other strange thing, is the high temp hose that connects bottom of EGR Tube to exhaust, blows up every month or so. When that blows up, check engine light is intermittent while driving. This problem is destroying my MPG. Went from about 12 to 8. Truck smells like it is running terribly lean as well. Surging and stalling probably started about 2 weeks ago. High temp hose problem has been for about a year now. Less than a month ago, I had done the wires and what not, and replaced the high temp hose, ran it through NJ Emissions and passed. Any suggestions? please help!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Any performance/driveabilty at higher RPM, highway ranges?

With that mileage on the clock, and it popping the EGR silicone, I'd take a look at the exhaust pressure reading through the 02 tap for cat restriction.. Also, if holding the throttle open 'slightly' improves or eliminates the stall/surge, have another look into the IAC as well as the the throttle plate for collected sludge.. If you restrict the intake air slightly at the throttle body, does the idle smooth, or worsen?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Thanks,
When I drive I don't notice the issue at all. There is definitely a notice of a lack of power. Can't spin the tires for the life of me anymore. Both throttle plates I have cleaned within the past year same as the IAC. If I am in gear with one foot on the brake, one on the gas, at about 1000 RPM surging stops or is minimal. It also doesn't seem to surge in park or neutral either, probably because the RPMs are higher. How would I go about checking the exhaust pressure?