Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

98 Contour cd4e trouble yet no check lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Unhappy 98 Contour cd4e trouble yet no check lights

I put a used cd4e in my 98 Countour, the old one worked but the fluid cooling line ruptured and trans fluid mixed with coolant. It will start and go to reverse and then drive through the gears about one block then it feels like neutral. If you stop turn off engine,put tranny in park , and wait a minute it will start up and go another block. I'm a poor stubborn wrench head and I want to fix it!
There is no check engine light and I have NO O/D light at all; not flashing or showing o/d on or off. I replaced the 'new to me ' used cd4e valve body & solenoid from the tranny that 'worked'. I bought the tool to set the detent lever actuating rod assembly ( 307-S290) and thought (there I go thinking again) that I should have a full functioning transmission. I have researched so much my head is spinning. If you have some ideas to try or a real solution please respond. I ride to work with a coworker and he's been real good about this but I want to get it fixed. HELP

Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM

sounds like you need to to take that trans. back out and have it completely rebuilt to me.
What I don't understand is why you just didn't flush out the good trans. after you fixed the cooling lines, it would have been a whole lot cheaper and it goes without saying it but I'm gonna anyway IF IT AIN'T BROKE FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T FIX IT.