99 Ford contour sputtering and surging at freeway speeds. - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:07 PM

Default 99 Ford contour sputtering and surging at freeway speeds.

i have a 99 Ford contour se 4 cylinder that sputters and surges at freeway speeds. I have replaced the fuel injectors and spark plugs but that did not resolve the issue. Any ideas what could be wrong?
Old 04-01-2018, 11:35 PM

Have you checked the fuel pump? If you don't have a pressure gauge you can pull the hose near the fuel rail and hit the key without starting, it should at least give you a steady/strong stream

Or filter? Not sure right now if the filter is part of the pump, but some of the older ford models had a separate filter in the engine compartment.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_b31 View Post
Have you checked the fuel pump? If you don't have a pressure gauge you can pull the hose near the fuel rail and hit the key without starting, it should at least give you a steady/strong stream

Or filter? Not sure right now if the filter is part of the pump, but some of the older ford models had a separate filter in the engine compartment.
I will be checking them today. The filter is outside the gas tank and the pump is inside.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:21 PM

Oddly enough, I picked up my mom's 95 Contour GL (with 2.0L) Sunday to be my daily driver. After driving it 40 miles from her house to mine without issue, I went online to find some more info on the car. Found your post and responded.

The car hasn't been registered for over 9 years so I figured I'd clean it up and take it for emissions (smog) testing this weekend. My son decided he wanted to take it for a spin today, but couldn't get it started. I go out tonight after work and got it started, but it sputtered like it's missing a cylinder. BAH! The battery is near dead so I pulled it and put the charger on it.

Since I hadn't had much time to look around while it was running, it's hard to say what happened in two days of sitting in my driveway but I did pull the air box and everything going to the throttle body. Noticed that the PCV hose going into the air filter box was disconnected and hanging.

Will update after the battery's charge is full.