Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

Code P1383

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Default Code P1383

My '98 Contour 4 cylinder had the timing belt replaced a few weeks ago. I've only driven the home and to the parts store due to the check engine light being on. The fellow at the parts store checked the codes. It had like six of them. I left the lights on and the battery drained. When I jumped the car it only had one code left - P1383. The code reader's narrative was, "Manufacturer Control Ignition System Misfire." I also looked this code up on Google it came up as "Variable Cam Timing" as either "excessive" or "retarded". To get this fixed, does the repair tend to cost a lot? Is this the sort of job best left to a professional?

I learned there are maybe three different timing belt lengths available for my car. The one installed was too big leading to some noise and problems with the tensioner. It also was causing the car to go really slow and it goes without saying the timing was off.

Last edited by tennesseesaturn; 09-09-2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: More
Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM

Well - I changed the camshaft position sensor and this seemed to help things out greatly. It was easy to do. Maybe my Contour has some hope.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

The check engine came back on and presented with the P1383 again. The engine is running pretty smooth and the mechanic told me the timing is spot on. I wonder if the Crankshaft Position Sensor is the trouble? I believe the timing belt was correctly installed - the mechanic used to work at NASA and he seems knowledgeable and capable.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM

I just got my car back today with good news. The fact that the SES light is not burning is calming to me.

It turns out the timing belt installed last month was done horribly wrong. The new mechanic ended up replacing the cam gears, tensioner, and belt. From what I've learned these tend to wear out along with the belt and should be replaced along with a worn or broken belt. The procedure also requires special tools and skills way beyond mine. He also replaced the serpentine belt (which was replaced last month too). I also replaced the cam and crankshaft position sensors since I'm told these often wear out over time and cause trouble. The average man can replace these himself. They replaced the O2 sensor (the expensive one before the catalytic converter).

The transmission mounts had to replaced - I think the previous owner not getting the motor mount fixed when it needed to be fixed led to the failure of the mounts. I don't want to sound harsh. I think the fellow who owned the car was elderly. Still the son and grandson should have stepped up to the plate and made sure the car was road worthy for the old gent.

So about $800 later, the car is running very nicely. I guess the lesson I learned is to take the car to someone you know and who will do the job correctly. Periodic maintenance is always helpful too. Both are less expensive in the long run.