Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

ford contour 2000 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Default ford contour 2000 question

hi yall - i have a ford contour 2000 and i've running into a problem,
that the car will not start consistently -
it's not a battery, starter or alternator problem - i've had those checked out and they are good -
and the problem is - it's hard to get the car to fail to start at the mechanic's shop ... because
when the car fails to start .... usually it will start back up after a good 10 mins ... which is odd - thus even
if i tow the car to the mechanics - they can't figure out what was wrong ....

any ideas?

Daniel

Old 08-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ford contour 2000 question

2.0 or 2.5?

Does the car stall while driving, or intermittently not start after some run time (more soat operating temp).. Meaning it won't run, but cranks normal.. Ever any CEL, or has the shop ran a diagnostic scan with any DTC's present? Could be a CMP or CKP sensor failure that can cause a 'restart' after a short sit time.. Other possibilities as well..

Old 08-26-2007, 03:33 PM

this car doesn't stall while driving ... it drives pretty good ....
it intermittently not start after some run time .. (that's true!)

i am not sure the shop had run any of those tests ... but i can ask.

what's CEL / DTC / CMP / CKP?

thanks,
Daniel.

Does the car stall while driving, or intermittently not start after some run time (more soat operating temp).. Meaning it won't run, but cranks normal.. Ever any CEL, or has the shop ran a diagnostic scan with any DTC's present? Could be a CMP or CKP sensor failure that can cause a 'restart' after a short sit time.. Other possibilities as well..

Old 08-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

CEL/Check Engine Light..
DTC/Diagnostic Trouble Code
CMP Cam Position (sensor)
CKP Crank Position (sensor)

Has the Check Engine Light ever come on? Current mileage?

The CMP and CKP sensors are used by the cars computer (PCM) for fuel injection timing/fuel control, and RPM/ ignition timing ect.. Generally when one of the sensors (or other component) fail, it will set/store a DTC and a illuminate the Check Engine Light which help the tech in a diagnosis.. It may or maynot be one of these sensors, butshould always start adiagnosiswith a system scan..More so with an intermittent issue.. If the no start condition happens at a fairly consistent rate, then it should beshop tested with hopefully a failure, and checked for a tach signal,injection pulse ect, as well as spark and checked for a spec fuel pressure supplied up to the fuel rail..Fuel pressure/pump runalso another failure possibility for a no start..

Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 PM

the check engine light didn't come on ...
the mileage is about 112,000

do you think it's a good idea to take it to a ford dealership for them to check it out versus a mechanic shop?