Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Default headlights

ok i just replaced buth bulbs and the fog light bulbs too all work too just the headlights sim really dim the lenses are clean but just doesnt seem like getting alot of power to them any1 know why? like a relay or something?

Old 07-01-2006, 02:47 AM
Default RE: headlights

Are the lenses clear or hazy? The lenses deteriorate over time, causing the lights to be dim. But you can't see too good into the light if this is the case. Had that problelm on a '98. You can 'clean' the lenses or buy new ones.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:24 AM

hi i have a 1998 contour and i have the same prob my brights are good and dims suck but when i get on the gas it dims bad does yours do that too?i was thinking its the ALT going bad i had this on my 89 prob it was at 12.5 on charge and i was just looking on here my self for a mod gone wrong too and some others i will post anything i find out to you and if you could same for me thanks

Old 11-26-2006, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: jlfrnce

ok i just replaced buth bulbs and the fog light bulbs too all work too just the headlights sim really dim the lenses are clean but just doesnt seem like getting alot of power to them any1 know why? like a relay or something?
I heard about this so........
The light dimming thing is a TSB that is for Cougars, but the fix they give fixes this problem in Contours too. Too bad we are not part of this recall. (I was just reading this one) Here it is in part......

TSB00-25-06

Article No. 00-25-6
• CHARGING SYSTEM—HEADLAMPS, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, RADIO OR INTERIOR LIGHTS FLICKER WHEN COLD—VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.5L ENGINE ONLY
• ELECTRICAL—HEADLAMPS, INSTRUMENT CLUSTER, RADIO OR INTERIOR LIGHTS FLICKER WHEN COLD—VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 2.5L ENGINE ONLY

MERCURY: 1999-2000 COUGAR

ISSUE
Some vehicles equipped with a V6 engine may exhibit a flickering condition of the headlamp, instrument cluster, radio, and interior ights during engine start-up and may continue during the first several minutes of engine idle. After several minutes, the flickering will subside but may not completely diminish. This may be caused by excessive electrical resistance in the battery voltage sensing circuit. Vehicle operation is not affected by this condition.

ACTION

Reroute the battery sense line from the engine cable, untape and remove. compartment power distribution box to the B+ terminal on the alternator. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.