Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

A little fun with power windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 AM
Default A little fun with power windows

Auto down
News Flash for 95-97 Tours..... I just completed my auto down on pass side harness. This process is really easy if you have access to an extra drivers harness with the relay. After doing the pinouts previously posted I cut out the wires for the auto down relay, and window motor making the wires as long as I could so I wouldn't be short. The power wire - purple/blue I cut it long on both sides of the splice w/ purple/orange that goes to the relay. As in my previous post about the hole already being in the door, I just figured that the wires then have to go in the same location as in the drivers side harness. I matched up the window motor wires and that puts the relay wires in the correct spot, at the junction with the speaker and mirror branches. I then unwrapped the pass harness and started with the window motor wires.
1) picked a spot and cut the white/purple (check pinouts in previous post) to the motor connector then connected the white wire to it.
2) picked a spot and cut the yellow/purple to the motor, removed the pass motor connector. Connected the cut y/p wire to the yellow/green from the relay connector. You should now have the new motor wiring (cut out of the driver side) back in place.
3) with the motor connector in place now ran out the wires for the relay and they laid up wanting to turn out right at the junction of the mirror and speaker wires, so I knew they were in the correct place. striped a spot on the purple/white about 3/8" long (don't cut it), and soldered in the trimmed and striped purple/blue wire. This was toward the switch on the p/w wire from the relay wires purple/orange splice into the purple/blue.
4) cut other side of the purple/blue at the end of the covered splice with purple/orange and taped up the end so it is protected.
5) picked a spot and spliced the black wire from the relay in the same way.
6) retape the harness and install.

This all sounds difficult when you read it but if you were doing it with everything in front of you it makes sense.

I have it figured out that even if you have a 98 car you can do this using pre 98 parts since the relay in the 98 cars have an extra wire for the two position switch. For 99 - 2k cars you would do this too and in 2k for auto down on drivers side you should just get a pre 98 harness with the auto down relay, and install it.

Connector pinouts;
Master Switch:
Connector "A" White - #1 white/purple - pass front up, #2 yellow/purple - pass front down, #3 white - pass rear up, #4 yellow - pass rear down, #5 not used, #6 white - driver up (to window motor connector up), #7 yellow/green - driver down (to auto relay connector pin #3), #8 white/blue - driver rear up, #9 yellow/blue - driver rear down, #10 orange/blue - light.

Connector "B" black - #1 purple/blue - power to rear windows (from cut off switch), #2 purple/blue - power from fuse panel (40 amp), #3 black - ground, #4 not used.

Motor Connector: yellow - to relay connector pin #5 (driver down), white - to master switch connector "A" pin #6 (driver up).

Auto Down Relay Connector: #1 black - ground, #2 Purple/orange - power (splices into purple/blue to master switch connector "B" pin #2), #3 yellow green - from master switch pin #7 (driver down), #4 not used, #5 yellow - to motor connector (down), #6 not used, #7 not used.

Old 12-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Default RE: A little fun with power windows

Thanks for the heads up. It does sound like a PITA though just to have an autdown feature. Glad it wasn't nay harder than that for you.