Ford Contour While only built on a short time span, the Contour was very popular with people of all driving styles, from the base model making for a great family car, to the SVT making a great track toy.

Replacing ECT Sensor Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 03:48 AM
Default Replacing ECT Sensor Wiring?

My 1996 Ford Contour GL is overheating (on L of NORMAL), stalling, has a minor oil leak. However, I ran my car for fifteen minutes in my driveway and it ran fine. The temp never got past R of NORMAL. The radiator fan never came on though. The A/C was off. It only overheats when I'm in drive at a stop light or McDonalds drivethrough. Highway driving and park don't overheat.
A few days ago I noticed the two wires going to the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor were so brittle that the insulation was just flaking off in my hand. The two wires were touching and about every 1 centimeter was another crack or missing piece of insulation. I could only see about 4 inches because the wire goes under the distributor cap/coil and is covered by a black heat mesh thing.

Anyway.. putting two and two together and assuming the fuses and relays are fine.. and considering the fact that I know the wires are touching each other.. it would only make sense that this is the cause of the radiator fan not coming on and my car overheating. In fact last month my car overheated and I blew the head gasket and had to shell out $1600 to get it done and a whole bunch of other crap done.

So to the point.. I understand that sensors measure resistance. I need to replace this wiring. It appears to plug in to the fuel rail. There is a little black strip that snaps shut and the two wires go inside. I know how to solder and use heat shrink. I also know that anytime you solder or cut wires, it adds resistance. The wires need to be replaced but I am afraid that it will either not work properly or cause more damage.

I don't know how the other end (the non-grey end) connects, but does Ford sell this wire? If not, does anyone know what gauge wire this is? I'm sure its probably standard. I know there was a recall on the wiring on the Ford Contours but a VIN # check says that my car only needs some brake valve done. I really wish I could get this fixed by Ford for free or under $30.
Here are some pictures.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Default RE: Replacing ECT Sensor Wiring?

Its not that critical and defintly will and did stop your fan from coming on.
use the same guage its about 12ga just make sure you use the same styyle strans..Dont use solid copper 12ga or 12ga that has 4 strans of wire..Thats what screws the resistance a LITTLE... So your ok ..I would have just put some tape on them wires and called it a day.