2000 Mercury GM 4.6 no start, suggestions? - Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Old 06-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Default 2000 Mercury GM 4.6 no start, suggestions?

Just joined the forum, have been reading but now I have my own issue to solve. Just bought a non running Mercury Grand marquis, has 74k miles but does not start/stay running. Previous owner said he drove it daily until it started giving him issues and shut off one day. He said it seemed fuel delivery related so he got the fuel pump replaced. When the problem wasnít fixed, the car was parked. Itís been there for id say 4 months or so. The gas still smells good. Iíve heard ignition switches are common problems, so I replaced that. Also got a new a battery for it. Upon trying to start it the first time, cranks but doesnít fire. Got out and saw gas all over the floor, realized the fuel pressure regulator was missing. I found it and reinstalled. With the regulator on, I could get the car to run maybe 5 seconds, just kinda sputters and dies. After trying to prime the fuel pump a few times by turning the key, the regulator itself was blown out of the fuel rail and spewed gas everywhere. This happened more than once. Iím wondering if Iím putting the regulator in incorrectly? Could the regulator itself be faulty? My local Napa store says theyíve only sold 1 of these within the last 1.5 years at all 33 stores near me.. doesnít seem too common. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks yíall.