Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

2003 Crown Vic troubleshooting code PO443

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Default 2003 Crown Vic troubleshooting code PO443

I have a 2003 Crown Vic that I am going to sell. I have pulled 3 codes fixing 2, crankshaft positioning censor replaced and misfire in 4th cylinder, replaces all plugs. Car runs fine but Ck Engine light is on pulling code PO443. This code sugest Purge or Vent solenoid is defective. Where are these solenoids and do you think that will fix my problem? Can I replace these myself?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Hi I can't answer your question, but I couldn't help notice that you said you were selling it. How much you looking to get out of it? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:37 PM

Actually maybe I can. I went searching for the answer to your problem. In the process I think I may have the same problem too. I own 2003 CV as well. Here's the site with a diagram. It's showing it for an older model CV but it should be the same. The diagram is easy to understand as well.Hope this helps.
I have a 1999 Crown Victoria Police Intercepter and Im getting - JustAnswer

Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM

It has 223,000 miles, all highway. I am in sales and cover 7 states. I've changed the oil regularly at 5,000 miles. The car is dressed 6 Cd player. All controls on steering wheel. Custom sound, climate control, both seat are 9 way power seats. Lombard support bag, etc. I have just had it tuned up, replaced all filters. Had one small dent on trunk lid repaired (no dents or scratches) new tires. I am asking $3800.00 but may take a little less.....interested?....I can send pics if you are.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 AM

also just had the crankshaft positioning sensor replaced.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by melvinpurvis
It has 223,000 miles, all highway. I am in sales and cover 7 states. I've changed the oil regularly at 5,000 miles. The car is dressed 6 Cd player. All controls on steering wheel. Custom sound, climate control, both seat are 9 way power seats. Lombard support bag, etc. I have just had it tuned up, replaced all filters. Had one small dent on trunk lid repaired (no dents or scratches) new tires. I am asking $3800.00 but may take a little less.....interested?....I can send pics if you are.
The miles don't worry me on the CV's. Them are excellent running engines ,even at that high of miles. Mine had the same miles on it when I bought it. Still ran ,still strong, but the car had some problems at shifting around 45. Took it to a dealer and it was cat converter. Havn't done it yet. Money issue.

I forgot to ask if yours is the P71? I'm really looking for another P71.I might be interested if yours was the interceptor.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm probably confusing everyone . I am undecided on which way I'm going . I'm either keeping the one I have, or buying a CV in need of an engine,or selling off my current one and buying another one that don't need so much body work. I missed out on buying one off ebay that needed an engine. I think it went for around 600.00. So I'm open to all ,just waiting for that right deal to come along. Then my decision will be easier. In the meantime, I have to fix my current car and wait and watch for that special one to come along.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM

Either way I get the car I want. The CV p71. I love cop cars.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:26 PM

For what its worth.....the motor in a P71 is the same motor in a CV LX. Actually the ride in the LX is similar to the Town Car, same frame and suspension. The differences between the two are as followsI've cut and pasted these from Ford Forum.com)

the only differences between a p71 and a civilian crown victoria are...

Slightly higher stance.
Dual exhaust standard, resonators removed,
200 amp Alternators.
Heavy-Duty Battery.
Blue Goodyear silicone hoses. (sometimes swapped out)
Thicker sway bars.
Larger breaks.
Beefed up suspension.
Aluminum drive-shaft.
140mph speedo, firmer shifts, higher idle speed, also altered spark tables and other tweaks
Wiring/lighting options. (i.e) Radio suppression. Auxiliary fuse block.
Side impact support.

Re: Any difference between a retired P71 and Crown Vic LX?

As far as P71s getting regular service, mostly that is a JOKE. Hardly anything gets done until something breaks. Most all of the ones I see need brake fluid changed, transmission service, P/S fluid changed, cooling system service, rear end oil serviced, fuel and air filters, belts and hoses changed. But some do get a oil change every now and then.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by melvinpurvis
For what its worth.....the motor in a P71 is the same motor in a CV LX. Actually the ride in the LX is similar to the Town Car, same frame and suspension. The differences between the two are as followsI've cut and pasted these from Ford Forum.com)

the only differences between a p71 and a civilian crown victoria are...

Slightly higher stance.
Dual exhaust standard, resonators removed,
200 amp Alternators.
Heavy-Duty Battery.
Blue Goodyear silicone hoses. (sometimes swapped out)
Thicker sway bars.
Larger breaks.
Beefed up suspension.
Aluminum drive-shaft.
140mph speedo, firmer shifts, higher idle speed, also altered spark tables and other tweaks
Wiring/lighting options. (i.e) Radio suppression. Auxiliary fuse block.
Side impact support.

Re: Any difference between a retired P71 and Crown Vic LX?
As far as P71s getting regular service, mostly that is a JOKE. Hardly anything gets done until something breaks. Most all of the ones I see need brake fluid changed, transmission service, P/S fluid changed, cooling system service, rear end oil serviced, fuel and air filters, belts and hoses changed. But some do get a oil change every now and then.
Lot of info there. Thank you. I know what you're saying, but I got it in my head I have to have an Interceptor.Once I get something in my head , it stays. But that's me.
My dad used to have an old Nova cop car ,back in the day. I just loved driving it. Funny though, the older cars seemed faster and more get up and go. I'll never survive in a small /slow car world. It's just not in me.Anyways back to your car for sale. I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to pass for now. I'm sure it's a nice car though. You'll sell it soon .

Quick Reply: 2003 Crown Vic troubleshooting code PO443