Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

2004 Crown Vic starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Default 2004 Crown Vic starting problem

Two weeks ago I purchased a 2004 Crown Vic with 66,000 miles. In the last few days I have had problems with the motor not engaging right away in the morning, or after the car has sat all day. Temps here are now in the 35-45 degree range. It runs just fine on the highway and in town after it starts. It also starts fineafter a few hours of use. I ran a can of fuel injector cleaner through. The car was a former police dept. vehicle at a university and undoubtedly saw a lot of idling, etc. Thus, the fuel injector cleaner attempt.

Also, the fan on the heat/cool blower does not work. It worked fine the first week or so. The other electronics are fine.

Ideas?

Old 11-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Default RE: 2004 Crown Vic starting problem

On the engine not engaging right away, please explain ina little more detail. Does the motor start and die? Does the starter make funny noises or no noise for a time or two trying to start? If it starts and dies, replace the Idle Speed Control motor. On the blower, check all fuses first and then see if there is current at the blower plug. If there is current at the blower motor, replace motor. If there is no current and fuses are good, replace switch.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:36 PM

I'm sorry, should have added this about the2004 Crown Vic starting issue. When I turn the key, the starter spins the motor for a few seconds like it doesn't have gas or spark. It then catches and runs. This morning it did the above but ranrough for a second or two before it smoothed out. Again, once I'm on the road it's very responsive, etc. As an aside, last week the check engine light came on for two days but then reset (?) itself. Everything was running fine at that time. I had checked with a mechanic that afternoon when it first came on and he said as long the car was running OK, there was no rush to bring it in. Thanks for the advice so far, it's helpful.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM

Try turning the key to the on position, wait a couple of seconds, turn off. Do this about 3 times and than try to start car. If car starts immediately, it is either a filter partially plugged, or the check valve in the pump leaking off over night. Go ahead and go to Autozone or Pep Boys, or whatever major parts house you have in your area and have the codes read. They should still be stored in the computer. Then post back here with the EXACT code number. Don't post what they tell you is wrong, just the number. It will be like a P0XXX or a P1XXX number.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Took it to the mechanic today to check out the starting problem, fan blower not working, and why check engine light came on (and then reset itself to off).

1. Fuel pump bad (way2old was right on the mark)
2. fan motor bad. No repair done as I think I can do the fan motor replacement myself with a junk yard fan.
3. possible leak in emission system; needs a smoke test to ascertain problem. Code was PO 442. No work to be done until check engine comes back on.

For the above diagnostic work, plus installation of new fuel pump -- $782.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM

The P0442 code is for a small leak in the emission system. There can be another cause if you want to try to fix it. There was a TSB to remove the vent hose from the under trunk cannister and clean it out. There was debris getting in the vent hose and causing a false code. It is the hose that is about 3/4 inch in diameter and goes up inside the frame. There is a coupler close to the cannister where it can be disconnected and cleaned. Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:19 AM

So, I had the car for two days after the shopwork and after sitting the morning, it would't start (again). Took it back to the shop and they have now diagnosed the problem as a mass air sensor (or something like that). They said they will charge for the part ($235) but not the labor. No adjustment on the fuel pump part/installation that I earlier paid $700+ because it was "diagnosed" initially as a fuel pump problem.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 AM

An update to the 04 Crown Vic starting issues:

After replacing fuel pump andMAP sensor, the vehicle still would not start in the morning (and it's getting cold in N. Wisconsin). I plugged in the engine heater for two hours over the weekend and it finally started. I took it to the sameindependent shop for another attempt. I offered him these suggestionsthat had been given to me: check idle speed control motor; if it idles up normally, have thecoolant temp checked at cold start as if it's reading too cold, it can cause that problem; and finally if thefuel pressure regulator is leaking off, it can bleed fuel into the intake and flood the car on cold start. I was told that the shop had indeed checked out those issues already.

(During the prolonged attempts to start it on the weekend, I could smell that it was flooded.)

The shop owner said he picked up on my commentaboutthe CVstarting after being warmed up,and checked the plugs. The electrodes were worn down quite a bit and he replaced the plugs, etc ($177). That seemed to have done the trick as it has been starting fine the last two days. So after three trips to the shop and $1,200 I have a Crown Vic that starts. The mechanic said I had "multiple" issues with the CV meaning the fuel pump and MAP sensor.

I want to pass along this bit of advice. I chatted with the service manager at a Chrysler dealership about the problems I was experiencing, and he noted in an aside that his shop does not have the computer equipment that would check all the error codes on a Ford product. I inferred from that maybe smaller independent shops also don't have the computer equipment to read error codes other than the basic ones. So would a trip to the Ford shop have picked up the fact that the plugs were worn out?

Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 PM

The answer to your last question is----- that all depends on the technician reading the scan tool data. I have 9 techs and sometimes I get 9 different answers to the same set of readings. Of course there is only one that is right and I usually look myself before any of them attempt to diagnose. Then I watch them try to explain it to the others and me. SOmetimes it is comical. But usually a Ford dealer will have the right answer quicker than an independant shop unless the shop has Foed diagnostic tools.