Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

The best $600 I've ever spent.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Default The best $600 I've ever spent.

Hey all.

Posted last week about the new find showing zero oil pressure indicated. Thank you for the replies.

A thousand miles later .. I love this car.

She was an impulse buy - and I honestly wasn't certain what I was going to do with her when I layed my money down. The possibility of a derby car was there if she really turned out to be a turd. But I think she has real potential.

I'm 51 years old. I'm not interested in skyactive technology (whatever the heck that means), or connecting my .. whatever device .. to my car. I'm also not Mario Andretti. I work 300 miles from home - staying at the shop during the week, and want to somewhat enjoy my 250 mile highway - and then 50 mile nasty dirt road - weekly commute with my German Shepherd.

With the fear of annoying a zealous brand loyal mod .. (Lol), can't really afford a '68 Del Ray - nor actually driving anything over 7L. The Vicky is a nice compromise (A '69 Galaxie would do as well - but unlikely to show up for $600).. and I've decided to keep her going as opposed to just driving it until it dies. No reason I can't put an honest ten more years or more on her.

The previous owner (who had the car all of 3 weeks despite the story of how he acquired it from a 92 y.o. who couldn't drive and his daughter didn't want it .. blah, blah.) thought he hooked a sucker, but I think I scored. The wrench and I are friends, and I'm not so obsolete that I'm not fluent in OBDII.

So.

If you would indulge me.

After a thousand miles, a few questions, concerns, advice welcome, etc.

Battery has no reserve. Can I connect it backwards? (Sorry. couldn't resist.)

Oil:. Recommended is 5W-20. I tend to believe the mfgr knows what they are doing, but I only start the car twice per week and then do sustained 70 MPH highway for 3 hours. There is no oil viscosity sensitive devices (VCT, HPOP, etc.) that I can tell. Thinking of going to a 40W synthetic, or 20/50 Diesel. Advice?

Tires and rims: Have 8 spoke alloys and 225 60R-16 snow shoes. (She's a 2003 LX - P-74). Want to go with a taller sidewall for the overdrive and dirt road cushion (I know .. speedo will read low) .. another 2" diameter hereabout. Will the cop car/taxi rims - steel with the oddball outboard offset - fit the brakes/wheelwells?

Keep on hand bits? I like the middle of the night road. I don't like tow trucks. it's a personal thing.

The charge indicator went sideways last week .. thought it was alternator brushes, but turned out to be a ****e battery and pulleys that didn't like being submerged on flooded ice roads. The new alternator I picked up can live in the trunk until it's actually needed. The annual "anything you can carry for $40" day at the wrecking yard is approaching .. suggestions for bits to have on hand?

Body: It's pretty clean, but the paint is peeling from the bottom inch of the doors. No perforation rust yet, but it's starting to go. It'll hole in 2 years if I don't get onto it yesterday. Need to arrest the cancer for a year (I'm in the midst of changes that will leave me little time to tinker beyond the necessities - would be wonderful to be 23 again with all the time in the world to bondo out a $100 Renault 5 again). If you had 5 hours to tinker .. what would you do?

Again, thanks for the replies.

Sorry I'm not contributing much, but right now I'm not going to much use beyond the abstract past ~ mid 90's.