Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Chuggin' Home

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Default Chuggin' Home

Greetings,

One cool day last fall, my aunt fueled my mother's 112k 2001 Grand Marquis at a Philips 66 near her house, and within a few miles, the car started chugging horribly. It couldn't make enough power to keep up with traffic at 35MPH. My aunt had it towed to a reputable shop.

This was quite out of the blue. I'd driven the car off and on for 6 weeks prior to my aunt taking it for a spin, and there was no indication that anything was wrong. Quite the opposite, in my opinion. I really enjoyed driving it on the interstate.

The shop's diagnostic scan found multiple coil failures, specifically, cylinders 4, 5, 6 and 8. That's the last half of the firing order.

The service quote was around $800. Dear old Mom can't afford that, so I drove the car off their lot and battled it back to her driveway.

I pulled a plug, found it a little old, so I changed them all for good measure. Just PM, you understand. I didn't expect a miracle fix.

I bought a single Accel replacement coil from AutoZone and used it to verify that the dead cylinders were in fact dead. Interestingly enough, the known-good coil did not cause any audible or visible change in the idle when it was substituted for a suspected bad coil.

I'm tempted to R&R all the coils, but before I do, I thought I'd shop around for opinions.

What could cause the last half of the firing order to scan out with bad coils?

Thanks --

Tim ==