Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

coolant leak 94 crown vic between block and trans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Default coolant leak 94 crown vic between block and trans?

My son has a 94 crown vic.He called me saturday and said car had overheated.I got the car home thinking thermostat was stuck,i didnt see any blown hoses.This morning there was a puddle under car.I jacked it up and let car warm up to build pressure.I removed small inspection cover on front of trans.It is leaking between back of engine block and transmission on drivers side.From what i couls see it isnt a head gasket or intake.Im thinking there is a freeze plug at the back of the block that gave out.I need a bit of advice as i am unfamilliar with these motors.The only way i can see of truly finding problem is to drop transmission.Car has less than 85000 miles.Runs and drives very nice and is definately worth fixing.Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Look into the valley of the block up close to the water pump area. There's a line there that has a rubber stub connection. They like to rot and leak, then coolant will run back towards the rear block/trans area. Check there for any coolant traces or tracking. Not the only place for a leak, but should be checked.. Also, look above the starter area,, headgasket line for any crusty deposits, same thing other side and area. Sometimes they leak and will seal up with normal engine temps, once cooled will drop some coolant..

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-29-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the welcome.I pulled trans and freeze plugs are fine.I saw the plastic plug above crankshaft and coolant dripping from it.Pulled that plug and it poured out.lots of crud under intake was absorbing coolant and i never saw any liquid in that valley but i know its there.Ill put trans back in thursday.I unbolted rear main seal carrier which was not leaking and pan gasket and seal are intact,I figured i would re-seal aluminum plate and put grease around crank and re-use seal.Would this be a mistake?I will pull intake probably friday.I really cant see very much under there but i do see the hose you are talking about,cant really tell its condition.This motor does not have a plastic intake and hasnt been running hot.Looked at head gaskets before and they appear to be fine.Thanks for your help,it is really appreciated. Gregg

Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I think the 94 MY bypass tube was o-ringed. Either way, hose or rings, the bypass makes a connection at the foward block area and can leak there, or even the tube itself. Take a small extendable inspection mirror and look behind the alt. area and down below the intake manifold. If you see coolant that far forward,, the connection probably is leaking.

What was the reason for removing the RM seal retainer? If it's not a higher mileage engine, wasn't leaking at all before, you might just remount the retainer/carrier and try and reseal it up with a good silicone sealer. I prefer the gray..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 AM

I removed it because i am not familiar with these motors and couldnt get up far enough behind motor to see exactly what that plastic plug was for.Ill try the mirror before i tear anything else apart.