Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Crown Victoria (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-crown-victoria-27/)
-   -   High beams seem upside down (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-crown-victoria-27/high-beams-seem-upside-down-34490/)

biggyfries 05-20-2016 12:51 PM

High beams seem upside down

I bought a 2007 cop car at auction and I am enjoying it a lot--its a low-miler in real nice condition. One little problem--I drove out of town for the first time recently (at night) and the low beams seemed pretty normal, but when I tried to use high beams, the light actually got dimmer, but seemed to shine brightly four feet in front of the car. Hi-beam indicator works fine, but no hi-beams. I assumed the bulbs were at fault, so I bought two new bulbs and there is no difference at all, high beams still are dimmer. I thought something was installed upside down or something--nope--everything is installed right, there is no way to get anything installed 'wrong'--I just have a mystery, something someone here may know something about I hope. Suggestions?

biggyfries 05-21-2016 04:32 AM

When the car was stripped of its police equipment, could wires have been clipped which disabled the hi-beams? Where would I look for such a clipped wire? There are bundles of wires all over this car.

Hayapower 05-21-2016 09:22 AM

If you put a meter on the connector, what voltage does it read? If spec voltage, I'd probably add a test ground there and see if it corrects the lamp output. If a power distribution wire was cut, probably wouldn't have lights, a ground issue may cause the lights to dim. Cut, left loose etc. Could be a hazard/visability system, or part of that was left in place as noted. If you need help with connector views or ground locations, let me know..

primem 05-23-2016 10:41 AM

my dads 88 cv had the same issue. I know its a completely different build so this may not apply....for his there was a wiring harness swap for the headlamps.

biggyfries 10-27-2016 03:40 PM

Here I am months later still without hi-beams. I don't drive on the open road much these days so it isn't a crippling problem, but would still like a solution. Could it be as simple as a bad multi-function switch (turn signal lever)?
If I buy another turn signal lever and hi-beams are still not working then there is no returning it. How would a smart guy proceed?

hanky 10-27-2016 05:51 PM

I believe the police vehicle had what are called wig-wag hi beams that went through an alternating relay. The possible reason for the dim hi beams now is probably because as Hayapower stated , what is operating in the hi beam position is now using the hi bulbs for a ground. I believe Use Common Sense may have some idea what and where they installed the relay or harness. I have installed them in various emergency vehicles ,but never in a CV. It would require a wiring diagram to try to pick out possible locations where they could have done that.
If they had strobes also installed in the front it may require a wiring harness as primen stated.

biggyfries 10-28-2016 07:29 AM

I think you're right hanky, there were strobes on this car and they were removed. I am weak on electrical analysis/repairs so I may have to hire a pro to sort this out.