Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

High beams seem upside down

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Default High beams seem upside down

I bought a 2007 cop car at auction and I am enjoying it a lot--its a low-miler in real nice condition. One little problem--I drove out of town for the first time recently (at night) and the low beams seemed pretty normal, but when I tried to use high beams, the light actually got dimmer, but seemed to shine brightly four feet in front of the car. Hi-beam indicator works fine, but no hi-beams. I assumed the bulbs were at fault, so I bought two new bulbs and there is no difference at all, high beams still are dimmer. I thought something was installed upside down or something--nope--everything is installed right, there is no way to get anything installed 'wrong'--I just have a mystery, something someone here may know something about I hope. Suggestions?

Old 05-21-2016, 04:32 AM

When the car was stripped of its police equipment, could wires have been clipped which disabled the hi-beams? Where would I look for such a clipped wire? There are bundles of wires all over this car.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

If you put a meter on the connector, what voltage does it read? If spec voltage, I'd probably add a test ground there and see if it corrects the lamp output. If a power distribution wire was cut, probably wouldn't have lights, a ground issue may cause the lights to dim. Cut, left loose etc. Could be a hazard/visability system, or part of that was left in place as noted. If you need help with connector views or ground locations, let me know..

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-21-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 AM

my dads 88 cv had the same issue. I know its a completely different build so this may not apply....for his there was a wiring harness swap for the headlamps.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:40 PM

Here I am months later still without hi-beams. I don't drive on the open road much these days so it isn't a crippling problem, but would still like a solution. Could it be as simple as a bad multi-function switch (turn signal lever)?
If I buy another turn signal lever and hi-beams are still not working then there is no returning it. How would a smart guy proceed?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:51 PM

I believe the police vehicle had what are called wig-wag hi beams that went through an alternating relay. The possible reason for the dim hi beams now is probably because as Hayapower stated , what is operating in the hi beam position is now using the hi bulbs for a ground. I believe Use Common Sense may have some idea what and where they installed the relay or harness. I have installed them in various emergency vehicles ,but never in a CV. It would require a wiring diagram to try to pick out possible locations where they could have done that.
If they had strobes also installed in the front it may require a wiring harness as primen stated.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 AM

I think you're right hanky, there were strobes on this car and they were removed. I am weak on electrical analysis/repairs so I may have to hire a pro to sort this out.