Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

How to open the AC system for several days?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Default How to open the AC system for several days?

Hi all.. 2002 Grand Marquis, 91k miles, I'm still working on a mechanical problem which I outlined in another thread. I believe it's inevitable that I'm going to have to remove the "AC blower box" and all of the AC hoses, in order to continue working around the engine, and to troubleshoot an electrical problem along the cable that runs through the firewall under the AC box. My plan is to suck out the freon into a tank at low pressure, and disconnect the hoses leading to and from the evaporator.

What's the best way to safely preserve all of the components that'll be disconnected, for a few days while I'm working around the engine? Can I just stick a shop towel over the hoses/openings/etc. held on by maybe a rubber band? Secondarily, while I have the system open, I recall reading that one of the hoses has a tendency to develop corrosion over time and should be replaced.. what's the consensus on maintenance-type work that should be done while the system is open? I was only planning on either flusing the corrosion-prone hose, or replacing it, once I figure out which it is.. and maybe a new set of O-rings all around. Anything else?

Thanks in advance.