Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Crown Victoria (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-crown-victoria-27/)
-   -   K&N Cold Air Intake Issue, 09' Interceptor (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-crown-victoria-27/k-n-cold-air-intake-issue-09-interceptor-30640/)

Vinyard 09-23-2013 07:54 PM

K&N Cold Air Intake Issue, 09' Interceptor

Hello, I own a 2009 Interceptor. Recently purchased a K&N Typhoon Series Cold Air Intake for my vehicle. Turns out the part is not compatible with the Interceptor computer. Seems to create problems for the mass airflow sensor. SCT Performance offers a computer programmer for the vehicle, whereby you can load various tunes onto your vehicles computer. I was told one of the tunes should enable the vehicle to accept the new air intake without issues. Can anybody shed some light on this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Vinyard

GilbertF 09-24-2013 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vinyard (Post 84279)
Hello, I own a 2009 Interceptor. Recently purchased a K&N Typhoon Series Cold Air Intake for my vehicle. Turns out the part is not compatible with the Interceptor computer. Seems to create problems for the mass airflow sensor. It seems SCT Performance offers a computer programmer for the vehicle, whereby you can load various tunes onto your vehicles computer. I was told one of the tunes should enable the vehicle to accept the new air intake without issues. Can anybody shed some light on this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Vinyard

Same issue is with my ride, searching for solution here.

Vinyard 09-24-2013 03:59 PM

SCT Performance - SCT SF3 Power Flash Ford Programmer Part Number: 3015

This is the flash tuner provided by SCT Performance. On their website they mention that with the tuner you can "Adjust for common performance bolt-ons such as Cold Air Kits, Exhaust Systems & Gears," but I've read through the user guide and have found no mention of any specific tune for the intake. I tried to contact SCT but that was of little help. The programmer costs around $400 so id rather be certain its going to work before I buy it.

granpabobby 09-28-2013 12:16 AM

I have a 2001 crown vic intercepter 4.6..what I did was add the K&N filter and remove the snorkel from the filter box then added a piece of exhaust tube to pick up outside air..works fine ..no problems from the computer

Vinyard 09-28-2013 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by granpabobby (Post 84364)
I have a 2001 crown vic intercepter 4.6..what I did was add the K&N filter and remove the snorkel from the filter box then added a piece of exhaust tube to pick up outside air..works fine ..no problems from the computer

Thanks for the reply. What exactly is the snorkel? Is that the 4" piece of rubber tubing at the front of the existing air filter box?

granpabobby 09-29-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vinyard (Post 84370)
Thanks for the reply. What exactly is the snorkel? Is that the 4" piece of rubber tubing at the front of the existing air filter box?

Correct..it is restrictive..from what ive seen the cold air kits pick up a lot of under hood air..I used truck exhaust pipe and a rubber plumbing coupler

Vinyard 09-29-2013 08:50 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the tip, I was under the assumption that the heat shield along with the rubber trim formed a nice seal with the hood. Definitely did not think it was getting too little cold air..

Vinyard 09-30-2013 07:27 PM

Will install an air duct on the intake side of the bumper. Maybe run some flexible 3" hose directly from the bumper to the intake. That should about do it eh? Granted there is enough space in there..

thecoolblueduck 11-04-2013 09:17 PM

Pictures?

Originally Posted by granpabobby (Post 84364)

have any pics to show the unimaginative?

chrmaka 11-22-2013 09:12 PM

You're going to need a tune. It's making you run VERY rich.