Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

K&N Cold Air Intake Issue, 09' Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Default K&N Cold Air Intake Issue, 09' Interceptor

Hello, I own a 2009 Interceptor. Recently purchased a K&N Typhoon Series Cold Air Intake for my vehicle. Turns out the part is not compatible with the Interceptor computer. Seems to create problems for the mass airflow sensor. SCT Performance offers a computer programmer for the vehicle, whereby you can load various tunes onto your vehicles computer. I was told one of the tunes should enable the vehicle to accept the new air intake without issues. Can anybody shed some light on this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Vinyard

Last edited by Vinyard; 09-24-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vinyard
Hello, I own a 2009 Interceptor. Recently purchased a K&N Typhoon Series Cold Air Intake for my vehicle. Turns out the part is not compatible with the Interceptor computer. Seems to create problems for the mass airflow sensor. It seems SCT Performance offers a computer programmer for the vehicle, whereby you can load various tunes onto your vehicles computer. I was told one of the tunes should enable the vehicle to accept the new air intake without issues. Can anybody shed some light on this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Vinyard
Same issue is with my ride, searching for solution here.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM

SCT Performance - SCT SF3 Power Flash Ford Programmer Part Number: 3015

This is the flash tuner provided by SCT Performance. On their website they mention that with the tuner you can "Adjust for common performance bolt-ons such as Cold Air Kits, Exhaust Systems & Gears," but I've read through the user guide and have found no mention of any specific tune for the intake. I tried to contact SCT but that was of little help. The programmer costs around $400 so id rather be certain its going to work before I buy it.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 AM

I have a 2001 crown vic intercepter 4.6..what I did was add the K&N filter and remove the snorkel from the filter box then added a piece of exhaust tube to pick up outside air..works fine ..no problems from the computer

Old 09-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by granpabobby
I have a 2001 crown vic intercepter 4.6..what I did was add the K&N filter and remove the snorkel from the filter box then added a piece of exhaust tube to pick up outside air..works fine ..no problems from the computer
Thanks for the reply. What exactly is the snorkel? Is that the 4" piece of rubber tubing at the front of the existing air filter box?

Old 09-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vinyard
Thanks for the reply. What exactly is the snorkel? Is that the 4" piece of rubber tubing at the front of the existing air filter box?
Correct..it is restrictive..from what ive seen the cold air kits pick up a lot of under hood air..I used truck exhaust pipe and a rubber plumbing coupler

Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the tip, I was under the assumption that the heat shield along with the rubber trim formed a nice seal with the hood. Definitely did not think it was getting too little cold air..

Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 PM

Will install an air duct on the intake side of the bumper. Maybe run some flexible 3" hose directly from the bumper to the intake. That should about do it eh? Granted there is enough space in there..

Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Default Pictures?

Originally Posted by granpabobby
have any pics to show the unimaginative?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM

You're going to need a tune. It's making you run VERY rich.