Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Problem With Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Default Problem With Intake?

Anyone ever have, or heard of, an issue with sucking water into the intakes on the Police Interceptor model? We just had two motors go south in our PD cruisers after driving slowly through a deep puddle. In reviewing the cruiser's tape, while the water was deep other cars did make it through OK. So, the question becomes, why did our not make it?

Any thoughts???

Old 07-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Default RE: Problem With Intake?

Look where the air intake is for the Vic. It is under the left front fender in front of the wheel. It does not take much for the intake to suck water up. Remember that you not only are pushing the water, the engine in trying to vacuum it up. We have lost quite a few since 92. I manage the Lexington Kentucky Police and general government fleet. If thwere is anything I can do to help, dont hesitate to ask.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks for your reply. That was the first thing I thought of. However, in looking at our cars, the intake is right behind the left headlight. The intake here is a horizontal, open tube that goes into the filter box assembly. From there, it routes upward and into the intake manifold. One unit is an 06 the other is an 07.

What really has us stumped is that this is horizontal tube is about two feet off the ground and it had a regular (paper) air filter in both units. We're having a hard time understanding how we suddenly destroyed two motors, patrolling an area we've always patrolled. The video does show the water being a little deeper than it has in the past, but we did not have any civilian cars get ruined at this location. I could see the filter getting wet, clogging and stalling the car, but not hydrolocking the motor.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 11-27-2007, 03:44 PM

Your officers put there foot in it trying to accelerate out of the water.Air intake was submurged and cause negative pressure behind the air filter .Engine sucked the waterpassed the air filter and instead of a little the cars got a lot of water. Enough to hydrolic stall and break a rod.When crossing waterDO NOT accelerate.hold the gas steady.Ask any off road driver.They will tell you the same thing.You mite try a old bath type filter. KNfor 1 type