Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

1995 E150 intermittent start

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Default 1995 E150 intermittent start

Hello,
New to the forum, lots of info here, good forum. I live in the beautiful rocky mountains in Leadville, Colorado, and I have a 1995 E150 5L, AT OD, conversion van that I stripped out to haul bikes. It's got 160K miles on it, and I've been doing my due diligence as far as maintenance goes. I don't drive it every day, usually on the weekends if anything, so most of the time it sits. I did a search of the forum, and didn't come up with anything, so if this is a repeat, please forgive. The van will sometimes quit when I'm driving, and suddenly start back, faster than you could snap your fingers, and sometimes it'll fail to start completely. This happens intermittently too. When it's not starting, it won't 'chug' or 'sputter' or anything, it won't do anything except crank smartly. I can crank and crank, and no raw gas smell at the tailpipe, either, and then suddenly it'll start and run perfect, or other times it won't start for a few days. I have had it towed twice to 2 different shops, one a ford dealer (!), both times they've found a reason to bill me, like I need a new battery or fuel filter or serpentine belt. In any case, no error codes, even though I have seen (briefly) my engine light come on, both shops said there were no codes to retrieve, and they know no reason for the thing to be doing this. Since then, I've retreived codes (311, 332, 538, 536, and 632), which seem to suggest EGR valve. Do you folks think it's possible that a bad EGR valve could stop my injectors from injecting? Oh, I've checked fuel pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail when it's not running (not starting), it's something like 50 lbs, but I can't remember exactly. I don't think this is a spark issue, or I would smell raw gas at the tailpipe after cranking it for 10 mins right? Positive fuel pressure at the rail, no fuel smell tells me the injectors aren't turning on. What do you folks think, this is kinda driving me nutty, and has already caused me to walk a total of 14 miles so far this year!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Default RE: 1995 E150 intermittent start

sorry, it's the 5.8L, 351.