Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2006 E150 Electrical

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Default 2006 E150 Electrical

All,
I've got a 2006 E150, V-8, 65K miles, that seemed to have some problems in the past that appeared to have been fixed by replacing the alternator early this past spring. (Basically sitting for 3 or more days would drain the battery.) After replacement everything seemed fine.
I drove it last night and everything was normal. Tonight I hopped in it, and on a whim put my volt meter into the lighter socket (12.00V) and turned the key. There was a click, the dashboard died, and nothing. I pulled the key out, waited about 10 seconds and noticed the meter said about 10. Not in a hurry, I put the key back in and turned it. The gauges did a dance for about 4 or 5 seconds where they all slammed themselves backwards. This time the volt meter said about 9.5. I got out and used the battery disconnect I had installed about 4 years ago to kill the juice, and reconnected it.
The voltmeter said 12V again, and when I turned the key it all cranked and started up.
Everything ran great, I ran some errands (not shutting off the engine), and ran around for about 45 minutes. Volt meter read as it should, going up and down with the engine revs and whatnot.

I'm wondering if the voltage jumping up after I disconnected the battery isn't just some kind of red herring? I'm looking up schematics, and asking around, so I thought I would ask here, just to see if there is something that pops out at anyone.

Any info would be appreciated!

Old 10-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Something that comes and goes like that might be a loose wire connection, maybe at the alternator or battery.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:16 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Greg K
Something that comes and goes like that might be a loose wire connection, maybe at the alternator or battery.
That's my vote. Time to take connections apart, clean them, and reassemble. Sounds like your switching of the disconnect managed to reconnect things, which means it will disconnect itself again, probably when it's least convenient!

One other possibility comes to mind. Once in a while, a battery post will get broken loose inside the battery. Things get intermittent, and the only cure is a new battery. I'd start with the terminal connections, and see how that goes. If it keeps happening, look hard at that battery post.