Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

2010 e150 steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Default 2010 e150 steering wheel swap

Hello. HATE the steering wheel in my new to me 2010 e-150 premium van. It has navigation and sync and that's cool, but I got pretty used to steering wheel radio controls. I see the 2010 Ford Edge has the same spline shaft as the econoline. I wonder how hard the wire portion would be. Anyone try this?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Hmmmmm. Nobody?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure I can help, but maybe Kyle/Lake Land Ford here could shine some part relevance info.

Leaving the S/wheel, and audio module compatibility aside, a correct clock spring would need to be sourced. I looked up the audio module connector view for the 2010 E series, and then a 2010 F series. The F connector view shows the steering wheel switch control function within the audio module connector pins/circuits. E series, shows 'not used'. So, the question would be if the audio module itself actually has the capable function there, and its just not used on E's and terminates at the connector with the pins/wiring deleted.

Wheel shaft spline would only be a part of trying to gauge for fit and function.

I know an aftermarket audio unit can be upgraded with steering wheel control, not sure on OE at that equipment level. If the audio module unit part number cross, can interface as equipped , then it may be an option. Kyle, or possibly another quality aftermarket installer may be able to shed some clarity as to the units capability. Possibly contacting Service/Ford engineering. Someone else may chime in with some direction as well.. Good Luck.

Last edited by Hayapower; 04-08-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Thanks. I have also been reading thru alldata trying to fine the answers. I hope to find clock springs in the bone yards when it warms up. Then I'll give it a try.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM
Old 04-14-2016, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Not sure I can help, but maybe Kyle/Lake Land Ford here could shine some part relevance info.

Leaving the S/wheel, and audio module compatibility aside, a correct clock spring would need to be sourced. I looked up the audio module connector view for the 2010 E series, and then a 2010 F series. The F connector view shows the steering wheel switch control function within the audio module connector pins/circuits. E series, shows 'not used'. So, the question would be if the audio module itself actually has the capable function there, and its just not used on E's and terminates at the connector with the pins/wiring deleted.

Wheel shaft spline would only be a part of trying to gauge for fit and function.

I know an aftermarket audio unit can be upgraded with steering wheel control, not sure on OE at that equipment level. If the audio module unit part number cross, can interface as equipped , then it may be an option. Kyle, or possibly another quality aftermarket installer may be able to shed some clarity as to the units capability. Possibly contacting Service/Ford engineering. Someone else may chime in with some direction as well.. Good Luck.
Do you think a 2005 excursion clockspring would work?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Haunteddude
Do you think a 2005 excursion clockspring would work?
I think its work !!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Alanah_Rae
I think its work !!
Hmmmm what about the sync button? 05 had no sync.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

It might boil down to weather the current audio unit has the steering wheel control function. Like I mentioned, the connector at the back of the E series audio unit doesn't have the pin/s wires for wheel control. So adding them there, may not work unless the audio head is capable. May need to get the number off the unit and check...

I may be able to check clock spring to harness- audio for correct wire colors/ circuits and connector positions and connector correct numbers,, but column fit and function between the two models I can't say.. I'd say, if any would fit the bill it would be a F series.. Ford parts/ engineering may be able to give you some direction, and I'd bet the question had been asked before..

Old 04-17-2016, 05:24 AM

Thanks Hayapower, I know the head unit is capable of it. I'm going to try to pull a it apart today to see if I can add the wire to the harness I have extra pins. If so I just need to verify the clock spring issue. I'll give ford a call tomorrow morning. Thanks again everybody for all the input. If I get it to work I'll be sure to take Plenty of pictures and post.

Quick Reply: 2010 e150 steering wheel swap