Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

E150 steering box rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Default E150 steering box rebuild

I put in new pitman arm seals, and finally got the box back in the van. Problem is, even with the van running, it feels like the steering wheel lock is constantly on. The wheel will only move a few inches from side to side. I don't have the pitman arm on yet so there is absolutly no drag (all hoses are connected and resovoir full). I'm sure it still needs to be bled and the lines are possibly empty. I screwed around big time with the adjustment on the top of the box with the locknut on it (cause I can't keep my hands off things). I assume this is the problem. I hope this is the problem I should say. Should I back it all the way out? or all the way in to start? Any idea's on what else it could be? I have a feeling I'll be dropping the box out again, so I gave up for the day. I'm going to work on the jeep. Oh yea, when I first tried turning the wheel, it wouldn't move, then I wiggled it a little and it spun all the way to the right side. Now its stuck there and won't move back, any ideas?

Old 12-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Default RE: E150 steering box rebuild

Yeah, that was a big problem screwing around with worm gear adjustment.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:41 PM

ok, I isolated and fixed the problem, onto the next problem... When I adjust the locknut on top, it changes the amount of full rotations from lock to lock that the input shaft can make. Is this normal? And if so how many rotations would be correct? There is absolutly no play between the input shaft and sector shaft. So far I've gotten 4 turns, 2 1/2 turns and 1 1/2 turns... any suggestions????

Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

No rotation count should be the same.. Approx. 2 turns each direction/4 lock to lock..

Does this van have an air bag?

The adjustment is to pull the 'slack' out of the box rack/sector. When you adjust the box, there is actually an 'inch pound' rotational measurement for the imput shaft as it's been brought over center position.. Called a mesh load or on center load.. It should have a 'slight' drag when being rotated and should be 10-14in. lbs on a reset..

Old 12-02-2006, 10:02 PM

It does have an air bag, drivers side only. 4 turns sounds pretty good. Finally, I can throw it back in.

so let me get this straight...I put a flathead bit on a torque wrench, then screw the threaded post counter clockwise until it hits 10-14 lbs? or would I screw it clockwise? Then I tighten down the locknut so it dosn't move.

Can all this be done on a bench? Or does it need the steering shaft attached to be an accurate measurement.

Well at least the pitman arm seal isn't leaking fluid anymore

Old 12-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

First...

Did you turn the steering with the box removed?..Spin the steering wheel?
If so, the clock spring could be damaged.. They are 'rotation count' sensitve as well..

The mesh load is set with the arm sector/pit removed from the link, 'should' be done with hoses removed but you can cheat.. Then, you use the inch pound torque wrench to measure rotation pull values through the imput shaft.. From about 45 degree's offset from center, then across the center position and back. Both ways.. Start with the adjuster backed out, and tighten it in in small increments as you measure the rotation.. you 'can' guess it, as long as it is just a slight drag over center.. NOT to tight.. I think the 'Check' value is like 7-9 in. lbs.. But if resetting the value is 10-14..So there's some room for accuracy..

So, if you have to do it by hand, with the coupler installed on the imput shaft, rotate the imput from 'off' center about 45 degree's, then acroos center to about 45 degree's in the opposite direction.. Once you get it close you'll feel a 'slight' drag in the middle position.. Try and guess about 10-14 in lbs and call'er good...