Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Help needed . Question about tire/Timon 1988 Ford E150 conversion van

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Default Help needed . Question about tire/Timon 1988 Ford E150 conversion van

Hi all.i have a question about the tire/rim on a 88 E150 conversion van that I recently bought. (It’s a grooming van) I noticed that some of the center hub caps seem to be missing. (Only 2 tires have the center hubcap cover)but one seems to look like its missing something else entirely. Not sure what it’s called so I’ll attach a photo of it. Hopefully someone here can identify it and let me know if it’s gonna be an issue without it. This is the drivers side rear tire that looks like it’s missing something other than just the hub cap cover
This is the passenger side rear .

Old 03-27-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

The rims are missing the ‘Center caps’ Not sure who’s rims those are, but generally they can be measured out by the hole diameter and an aftermarket cap bought or sourced. Or possible still available from the manufacturer of the rims, maybe not the same design given their age, but would fit.

But the images descriptions seem wrong,, here’s why..

The image that shows the small cap protruding should be L/R front wheel/s and the small cap you see is a dust cap over the wheel bearing/wheel nut to protect the bearing from water and debris. Some call them grease caps, bearing caps etc. If a dust cap were missing up front, you’d see a large nut with a cotter pin (locking pin) through it.

The image showing a more open hole in the rim,, you can see an ‘axle face’ in the diameter opening would be rear wheels as you noted. The rear axle doesn’t have a dust cap, it’s completely sealed off and flat looking. So, normal..

With the rims Center caps missing, it doesn’t create any issues other than appearance...

“Although” the dust cap in that image is damaged showing a hole on its face, and a distorted or flattened area around the caps circumference, both points for intrusion. At the very least the cap needs to be replaced, but if it’s been open to the elements (water/dirt/rust etc) for a long period of time, might be a good idea to check the bearings. Once the cap is removed, if there’s evidence of rust on the caps interior, the nut and washer you can see is rusted, or collected water on the inside, dirt etc it should be disassembled and inspected. May need to wash out the bearings, repack them in fresh grease and a new hub seal if need be, and of course a new dust cap. If bearings were rusted, pitted, then bearing replacement done as part of the service.

The small dust cap is just a lite press fit, so to remove it you can get a wide flat blade screw driver under the lip at its base and pry it loose, or grab it with a pair of channel locks and walk it off. They dent easily (can see that in the image as well) and there’s actually a tool to remove them, but either noted work to remove them. To install,, gently tap back in place with a rubber mallet.

We can help with instructions if needed...

Last edited by Hayapower; 03-27-2018 at 11:25 AM.