Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Just bought a 1985 Econoline, need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Default Just bought a 1985 Econoline, need some help...

I just picked up an 85 Econoline conversion van. It has 109k miles, with the 351 HO windsor motor with 4 barrel carb.

Its in running condition but seems to have a few issues:

1. Sometimes hard to start after sitting for a while.

2. Idles a little rough before warmed up. After its warmed up it idles better, but not perfect.

3. If you give it too much throttle before warmed up it will bog down and almost die. This problem gets a little better after warmed up.

4. The serpentine belt squeaks real loud right after startup. Goes away after warmed up.

Basically, the van has numerous problems when it is cold, but runs like a champ after it is warmed up. And all of the problems are during startup or acceleration. It runs smooth at cruising speeds I can't afford to take it to a shop, so I'll have to fix these problems myself.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here. Thank you.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: Just bought a 1985 Econoline, need some help...

your automatic choke needs repair....

Old 03-21-2008, 06:05 PM

Automatic choke?

Should I buy a brand new carb, or just have the one thats on there rebuilt?

How much do shops charge to rebuild carbs and put them back on?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:38 PM

most days shops don't rebuild the carb,but replace it with a rebuilt unit.Do a search for 'carburetors' and see wht you find...

Old 03-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Alright guys here is an update.

I went out today to start the van, and I had one hell of a time starting it! I was afraid I was going to drain the battery. I finally started the damn thing, and it immidiatley started idling like crap, so I gave it some gas, it proceeded to rev up very doggishly and then it smoothed out. Now if I go out to start it, it will start in literally 1 second.

I am noticing it actually starts better in cold weather than it does in warm weather.

I am thinking about raising the idle speed. Maybe that would smooth it out?

I am pulling my hair out over this. any other suggestions. How do I adjust the choke?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:46 PM

The electric choke will be a round black plastic switch about an 1.5" in diameter. Has a metal ring around it held in place by three screws. Loosen the screws enough to be able to turn the choke switch. You want to turn it in the direction that closes the choke more on the carb. Dont try to cinch it down, move it slowly, probably around a quarter inch or so. Repeat as neccesary.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM

thanks for the reply.

I just had the doghouse off, but I put it back on. What side of the carb is the switch on?

The choke would cause it to idle poor after startup? Escpecially in warmer wweather?

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM

Yep....I'm not sure about your application,but as a general rule if they're not heating up right,and the mechanisms are sticky or broken,the motor will either use too much gas because the choke plate is'nt opening ....or the motor will not start...or start & stall because the choke plate is'nt closing.This is gonna cost you gas at the least...more than likely battery & starter problems as well...

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM

It should be on the passenger side of the carb.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Sweet. I really appreciate the help.

I will take a look at it tomorrow morning and see what I can do.

Edit: I'm thinking about converting it to a manual choke. My uncles Silverado has a manual choke and it works like a charm. 80's ford electronics and emission systems were a headache.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 1985 Econoline, need some help...