Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Need help with fuel/wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 12:56 PM
Default Need help with fuel/wiring issues

Hello everyone this is my first post! I bought a non running 89 ford E150 with 5.0 about 2 months ago. When I got the van it was mechanically in bad shape. Many parts where missing however it will start on starting fluid. The harness was cut and spliced to jump the fuel system. Ive just put in a brand new low pressure and high pressure fuel pumps but now that I rerouted the wires as they are suppose to be I still can't get power to the pumps. Ive also put in a brand new fuel pump relay because the old one was fried and replaced the pigtail while I was at it. I discovered the inertia switch was cut out and wires are twisted together so Im not to sure if that will even work like that. When I hook up the battery I hear and feel both the eec relay and fuel pump relay click on but after about a sec the fuel relay clicks off. Also by the battery I have about 3 extra wires I have no idea where they go(O/R, Y/R, W) all coming out of the same loom right by the starter relay. I know this is a lot but if anyone can help me with any part of this (wiring diagrams, pics of battery area, info) I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thanks

Old 06-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

The fuel pump relay with be function timed by the ECM controlling the fuel pump relays ground.
Is there a line voltage present at the inertia when the key is cycled On? It will be timed. If not, double check the fuse in the engine fuse box for the pumps load protection. More so if the relay fried. To test run the pump, and if voltage is missing at the inertia, as a Test Only you can add a fuse protected test lead adding voltage at the inertia for a start up if no other issues.

Schematics don’t go back to 89, and awhile since I’ve worked on 89’s, so if you have an image, might help with a refresh..

Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Hi Guys, I believe I may have a wiring schematic for a 1989 5.0L trk. I don't have the means presently to post a copy, but if we take this a little at a time , maybe I might be able to provide the colors and where they go.

Drew, are you sure the one wire you describe as W has no other tracer color on it?

From what I have been able to see so far , there are no white wires on the diagram. There is ,however, a w/lblu and it comes from the ign sw and goes to the ECA power relay and through a blue fusible link on to the ign coil. It also has a splice that goes to pin 3 of the TFI module on the dist. Any help so far?

The diagram shows a Y wire coming from the starter relay that has a fusible link (20 ga Blue) and supplies power to both, the ECA and Fuel pump relays. How does this look so far? You may have to go into the harness some to see the true color of some of the wires since time may have made them harder to determine.

Last edited by hanky; 06-02-2018 at 05:19 PM.