Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Low milage van handles like crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Default Low milage van handles like crap

My first post here and trying to find some more advice. I've got a (new to me) '06 E250 with 45K on the odometer. When I bought the van the tires were shot so within the first week I put on new rubber. I went with Cooper 10 ply E rated HT Discoverys after having good luck with them on my '97 E250. Soon after I noticed the van swayed horribly, almost to the point of being unsafe to drive. I can't say for sure it did this with the old tires cuz I swapped them so soon after purchase. The shocks, mounts, sway-bar, etc. all seem normal and so I've concluded I either have worn out shocks, although they seem firm when bouncing the bumper, or the new tires have crap for sidewalls and that's what's giving the roll feel to the ride. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Default RE: Low milage van handles like crap

Try getting an alignment (maybe four-wheel). Else check for a sticking brake.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Default RE: Low milage van handles like crap

did you get the LT tires? The only tire I found to be good enough for all season is Michelin light truck tires. they cost a bit more but got the best reviews of all tires.

Check your front shocks, friend had one of his shocks actually broken at one end so it caused a bad wobly ride at highway.
I replaced my front shocks with some KYB's, had some crappy blown shock on it that I decided to replace. much better ride and handling after just replacing the front shocks. got the rear but havent had the time to do it yet.

also if you have bad shocks you might hear some noise like your bearings are shot and/or uneven tire wear. you might see the tires get cut up on the inside like a wave so if you put your hand around the tire you would feel the waves.

the ball joints on theses vans are junk too and fail often. they are not expensive and if youre anything good at repairs you can do it yourself.