Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Mid to late 90's alternator replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Default Mid to late 90's alternator replacement.

Any idea on just how to get an alternator out. My 94 is probably the same as the surrounding years and I can't see the trick to doing it without yanking alot of stuff out of the way. E250 with a 4.9 six. thanks, Wayne

Old 01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Default RE: Mid to late 90's alternator replacement.

Define "alot of stuff"? It's been some time, but back at the dealership where I worked I was known as 'the van guy' because I was the one technician who LIKED to work on those things! As I recall, alternator replacement on them isn't all that bad.

Going from memory here, I would tell you to open the hood, remove the air box (where the air filter is), air inlet hosesand I usually take the battery out when working on those vans (at the very least you will want to disconect one or both cables when doing an alternator). Then you'll need to release the tension on the serpentine belt and get that out of the way (check it now and replace it after changing the alternator if neccessary). Space is tight on those vans, but everything is accessable with a little work and patience. I can't recall for sure here, but I believe the alternator on a 4.9 is off to the passenger's side on a large bracket. Sometimes the through-bolt can seize being that it's a steel bolt passing through aluminum, and that can be a little tough to remove...but once you get the bolts out, you can work the alternator into a position that will allow you to remove the wire harness from it and then you can fish the alternator itself out from under the hood. Reverse the process for installation, of course.

It won't be the most thrilling job you'll ever do, but it is far from difficult. I routinely serviced those vans with the 7.5 litre (460) engines in them and never ran into too much trouble...so an I-6 van should be easy!!

Worst case, take a few photos and post them up here. If I see what you've got, I'll recognize and remember it right off and can tell you EXACTLY what to do...but the steps I outlined above should get you there.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the input. I did get it out but had to pull the radiator. The cowling was just to much in the way and the depth of the alternator did not allow it to pull out far enough. I tried every way to Sunday, backwards, forwards, sideways and upside down and it was a no go. It would get hung up on the A/C evaporator box, the fan cowling or the bracket. I just can't see how they could not have changed the bracket and made it easier. Btw, it is a 130amp alternator. Thanks tho.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Ha Ha...just be glad you weren't working on one of the newer Cadillacs...I did an alternator on one of THOSE awfull things at a used car dealership a few years back...had to drop the engine cradle down, loosen the steering rack...all kindsa stuff...NO fun at all!!!

That van is EASY by way of comparisson!!!