Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

n00b Attempts Transmission Fluid Change?? O-o

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Question n00b Attempts Transmission Fluid Change?? O-o

Alright gang... Heres the deal.

If you didnt see my intro post / video / photos, then here's a summary:

I bought a 1984 Ford Econoline 150 Club Wagon. Its got about 181,000 miles (ish). Im working on fixing it up for fun but also for conversion and for a charity group Im starting.

It was running when I bought it - I had the starter changed, and I changed the battery, oil filter, oil, some mirror filament, etc. Bunch of stuff. I also bought a fuel filter but I haven't messed with that yet. Waiting on interior samples lol...

Right now, when the beast runs, she shifts HARD. Even when shes sitting, she idles high, and then lurch/jumps when shifting.

I haven't LOOKED at the transmission fluid... but rest assured its gotta be bad, right? The previous owner had it like, I think 5-6 years, and ran if for three, but never bothered to change the fluid since taking the pan off for automatics is "complicated".

I REALLY don't want gear slippage or whatever but I can't afford a new tranny so I am going to attempt to CHANGE the fluid and filter.

I got a haynes manual. I have the tools. Im scared, but I don't know what else to do. I mean it shifts HARD and high. Yeah, its a heavy van but like, you can feel it pushing to shift then BOOM lol. I KNOW that's not normal - I'm not in front of the van atm, but today Ill take a pic of the fluid on the dipstick.

I have the right fluid, the right tools, and Ive been watching videos, studying the manual and the Haynes guide so I feel like I could do it but...

Eh...

There's so much junk about NOT screwing up the transmission by changing the fluid. I AM NOT NOT NOT doing a flush, but I'm still scared. I don't want to ruin the tranny but if its lurching I don't know what else to do other than change the fluid, so...

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Ill get a pic of the fluid later but, I have a feeling it's gonna be bad, and if its bad, I mean, what else can I do but change it? lol

Thanks. I've never worked on vehicles in my life and this is becoming a great learning experience.

Sincerely,

~Specter

P.S. Thanks @Hayapower for sending me advice! Its very helpful!

Old 12-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Old 12-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Default Whoa. I'm shocked...

The fluid isn't that bad?!!!? WTF?!?! It's still pink even. The dirty orange bits are from rust that came off of the dipstick.

I guess it won't let me post the pictures here so I'll make an album.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Your van should have the AOD trans..

One issue that was fairly common for hard/shift timing events was,, there's a Governor that's mounted on the main/tailshaft within the tailshaft housing. It mounts up close to the main case. It could come loose, or have an internal issue ( Rust/debris etc) and cause hard, shift problems, or extended out shifts. That year/model I don't believe use the TV cable (throttle valve operated) which was another cause for shift timing issues. Does your van ' kick down' at the proper throttle angle? Basically, feel right kicking it down into passing gear?

If you have shifting problems generally a fluid swap won't correct the issue. Might want to run it by a local trusted trans shop and just have the test drive it for an evaluation. Shouldn't cost anything, and may give you some direction. Being that fluid is red, is a good sign, unless it was recently change prior to you ownership.

To post pictures, scroll below the Reply box and into Additional Options/ Manage Attachments should work if the images are the correct size and type..

Old 12-06-2016, 01:54 PM

Thanks!

So - Since the battery was still giving me grief, I decided to jump it and get a diagnostic - Seems the alternator is bad maybe? New battery and terminals they said were ok (yay! I didn't mess it up!!) Signs show was only getting about 9.0 and should have been getting 14 (for... Amps? Volts? I forget...) Basically... Alternator isn't charging battery mush - it worked before, but not after new battery replacement - I will remove and test the battery separate to be sure...

I decided to winterize it for the time being as I can't buy a new alternator for a couple weeks - I have been scouring my Haynes manual and PDF Owners guide I found... You know... Having an engine schematic would help but I can't find that either hahahhahah. Hell the "capacities" section for the fluids didn't even tell me how much coolant to use - Maybe they thought I could extrapolate based on engine size... MATH!!!!???? HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no... NO MATH! (jk). I just measured what I took out and did a 50/50 ratio with that amount. It gets cold as heck and hot as heck in Oklahoma so... Yeah. They said no more than ^0% coolant and no less than 40% so - I went 50/50 - I need to flush the system again though - What came out was GROSS GROSS GROSS. ICK.

It appears an alternator is something I am capable of replacing myself so long as I have the correct tools. I have someone who is going to supervise me doing this so I don't mess anything up or hurt myself HAHHAHAHA. THEY could do it FOR me, but I want to do it - I can do it Im sure I just want someone there to watch so I don't break more things...

Also I took footage of me draining the radiator, and it is... ... ... ... Sad and funny. I had to stop and run inside to change and shower because I got sprayed.

I shall edit and put up a video for you viewing hilarity.Note to self - The bleeder valve probably does exist for my van, and taking off the radiator cap is not enough... Lesson learned...

Once the alternator is replaced I will do transmission fluid/filter, and start her up. By then she'll have had

-a new battery
-new battery terminals
-a new starter
- fresh coolant/antifreeze, oil, and transmission fluid
-a new transmission fluid filter
-hopefully new light bulbs in the IC (gonna try to take out the side panel and see if that helps - if not... Steering column it is -_-)

I tried posting pics from mobile but its asks for a url - I will look into further.

Lastly... The dipstick for the TF is REALLY LONG - It was hard getting it to seat and I got a cold and warm reading but - I mean it seems overfilled.

Is there SOMEWHERE - TO GET - AND ENGINE SCHEMATIC - FOR MY PARTICULAR VAN YEAR / MAKE / MODEL and maybe find a for real owners manual? I will check capacity book part again but its getting frustrating. I STOOPED I KNEED PIK TORS! (I mean, I just want help in locations of things - This van isnt normal lol).

I SWEAR I RESEARCH THINGS!!!! I DO! I even look up youtube videos. But when everything I find of relevance has an alternator SOMEWHERE ELSE THAN MY VAN - It's kind of more fun to beat my face with a stick LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Honestly though - This is really fun - I know A LOT more than I did and I feel like I'm capable of a lot more too. its getting interesting.

I will be excited when she turns over good for the first time after all the things I've accomplished.

Thanks @ Hayapower even if you're the only one who's ever read these lolol - I feel like this has become a diary of my fumbling attempts at mechanics but - Gotta start somewhere...

Old 12-06-2016, 02:02 PM

P.S. - Found out previous owner never changed or added transmission fluid and has no idea if it had been done before! O_o So yeah - It was till pink / translucent though! I really expected the worst...

Old 12-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Changing out the battery, cables/ends shouldn't have caused a charge issue. Before you buy an alternator, have your original alt tested. Most parts vendors offer a test at no cost. Some may not have a test setup, but many do.

That vintage van and charging system still had a external voltage regulator. Could very well be the regulator and not the alternator. Or harness/ connector issues.

A quick simple test is to do an "Isolation Test" to see which unit has failed.
What you do is, have a volt meter with its leads installed across the battery terminals reading its available voltage (not running). Next, unplug the voltage regulator. On the face of the regulator where the connector inserts you'll see 'A & F'. Use a wire inserted into 'one' of the regulators 'harness end' terminals (matched against the regulator so to be circuit correct). Doesn't matter which one, "yet". Start the engine and let it idle, now bridge or insert the wire between A' and F' completing the circuit on the harness end. The alternator will now be at full charge ( if its good) and you should see the voltage at the battery/ meter indicating it's charging well above 12v (14+) being its now unregulated. Do Not leave the test wire installed and drive.

If the test bridge/isolation doesn't increase the charge voltage, again, have the alternator tested in case it's a harness issues. If the voltage increase as noted, good chance the regulator is bad.

Id consider a quality trans shop taking it for a test drive for a evaluation prior to the trans service work. Again, most will give it a drive at no cost with a service/repair advisory if any.

I'll look and see if I have any old manuals that cover your van. And I've had a trans fluid soak or two myself! Most times just wicking it up like a sponge. Still learning.. :-)

Last edited by Hayapower; 12-06-2016 at 09:14 PM.