Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

service engine soon light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Default service engine soon light?

Light is on, Advance did a read out and reported a code that indicated a misfire condition on #4.

Suggested checking ignition and fuel.

I pulled and replaced plugs and didn't see anything wrong with any of them, specifically #4.

On the fire side of this issue, I plan to start with the plug (done), next wires, and then the coil pack. Is there a better idea out there?

The van is a 01 with 134K with a 4.2

The plugs were 25$, the wires are about $50, and the coil pack is less than a $100. If this brings my maintenance up to date in this area, I thought it would be a reasonable approach.

What should I be doing in addition or different?

Doyle

Old 08-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Default RE: service engine soon light?

Update:
The #4 misfire condition still exist after plugs, wires, and coil pack.

In review, no response here but further reading gave me couple possibilites of the problem:

Carbon is one and the other is the #4 injector.

To check for carbon, I suppose the compression check on that cylinder is the approach?

I will need to know what is the expected compression to compare with the actual.

To do the compression check, it is ok to do only the #4? I would not want to pull all plugs if it isn't required or recommended.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Hope there is a cool down for this to be done, the heat lately has been pretty oppressive.

Doyle

Old 08-18-2007, 08:30 PM

In my quest to fix this service engine soon light, I am understanding that in addition to all that I have addressed so far is;

There is potentially cargon build up around the injector of this #4 piston that comes up on the code readout.

A parts store suggested that cleaner ( a foam cleaner type) they have might help clean the injectors. They said to administer the clearner, pull the brake vacuum line to booster and with engine running pour an amount from this can into the hose. Then, pour the rest which is over90% of the container into the fuel tank.

Anyone familiar with this process. I can get the name of the cleaner, but he merely referenced it as a foam type cleaner. It must turn to foam under heat? In can, it is liquid form, it appears.

Anyone cleaned their injectors by this or a similar method. I also understand the professional shops will do a cleaning for somewhere around $150. That would be what I do, problem is I am fishing and it might not get rid of the code.

Doyle

Old 10-28-2007, 11:46 PM

Do you feel the engine missing? Maybe it is a bad sensor? The cleaner is seafoam and it works well.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Remove the upper intake from lower intake and inspect the EGR ports in lower intake for clogging. The one that is still open is usually the cause of the misfire. In this case will probably be #4.