Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Smog pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 AM
Question Smog pump issue

Hello guys,
at first, please excuse my bad english, i am from Austria (not that country with the kangaroos :-) )

I have bought a lovely car: It is a 1995 Ford E150 5.0 (EFI? i think so?) V8 MARK iii (3)
I need a short answer from you experts about an issue with my smog air pump, and sorry, i am thinking there are many answers for my question in this forum.... but my english...

My smog air pump is getting really noisy each mile i drive the van!
Is it possible to remove the disk from the smog air pump and use a shorter belt? Or will that make any other problems with the engine computer or other things.
It is really difficult here to get fitting parts for US-Fordīs (GM is no Problem... ). And i need my Econonline this upcoming weekend for an big us-car meeting here.
It does not matter which exhaust emissions I produce. The vehicle has a special permit here in Austria.
I just do not want to kill the engine, or other parts. When it works... can i drive with this setup for longer time? Or is it better to buy a new one?

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR FAST HELP

Thomas

Old 05-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site Thomas..

You should be able to remove the smog pump pulley and run a shorter belt.
That said, a replacement pump may be a better choice if catalytic converters are a concern. Running no secondary air isn’t good for the cats over time, but many owners run the pump delete kits, or just remove the pulley and re-measure for the replacement with a seamstress tape, string etc. Drivability shouldn’t be a concern, and removing the pulley and a shorter belt installed for or as a temp fix until a pump is sourced, or, as a permanent solution but may cause emission related issues later down the road, or nothing all in some cases.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:53 AM
Default Thanks

Ok.
​​​​​​So the emissions make no sense for me because the van has a special licence here.
I drive the van about 500miles per year. ..

So, that means: i remove the pulley, use a shorter belt and that will work for long time?
No more fuel is needed?
No issues for other parts of the engine or electronic?
The kat make no sense for me, however maybe i remove the kat in upcomming winter...

Thank you very much

Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

The smog pump helps the Catalytic convertors with their efficiency, meaning helping in generating catalyst heat. Being you drive so little, doudt you would run into any cat restrictions or plugging anytime soon (unless the cats are marginal currently) If at some point they restrict, the exhaust can be dropped out and the cats cores rodded out, removed.. If the cats are rodded out, or removed completely, you’ll most certainly have check engine light illumination..

Removing the belt or pump normally doesn’t cause a check engine light (CEL) to illuminate, nor any noticeable or drivability issues, increased fuel consumption concerns (more since you only drive 500 a year) etc but the potential is there because of the O2 (oxygen sensors) activity. But again, most times no CEL will illuminate. Unless cat restriction comes into play.

If the belt is removed, and the van driven over time, most often the smog pump will ‘lock up’ from condensation /corrosion and reinstalling the belt no longer an option.

Last edited by Hayapower; 05-29-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
The smog pump helps the Catalytic convertors with their efficiency, meaning helping in generating catalyst heat. Being you drive so little, doudt you would run into any cat restrictions or plugging anytime soon (unless the cats are marginal currently) If at some point they restrict, the exhaust can be dropped out and the cats cores rodded out, removed.. If the cats are rodded out, or removed completely, you’ll most certainly have check engine light illumination..

Removing the belt or pump normally doesn’t cause a check engine light (CEL) to illuminate, nor any noticeable or drivability issues, increased fuel consumption concerns (more since you only drive 500 a year) etc but the potential is there because of the O2 (oxygen sensors) activity. But again, most times no CEL will illuminate. Unless cat restriction comes into play.

If the belt is removed, and the van driven over time, most often the smog pump will ‘lock up’ from condensation /corrosion and reinstalling the belt no longer an option.
Thank you so much.

So now i know how to fix my problem.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Question belt?

Did anybody know the length of the belt that is needed without the smog pump pulley?

thx a lot!

Old 05-31-2018, 02:16 PM

No one an idea?

Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Think they were around 90”, but the best way to make sure is to use a seamstress tape measure (or less accurate a string) and route it around the the components/drives. Then, subtract 1/4-1/2” for the tensioner application/swing.
Or, rotate the tensioner with a breaker bar installed in the tensioner box and lock the bar against a shouldered edge, strapped etc. Most of the tensioners had index marks that align with the belt installed. This would be where you’d want to hold for a actual measurement. Normally, what I’ve done when a altered drive, is take a measurement and grab a belt actual to reading I got, and one a tad shorter/longer. Then return the others that aren’t a fit. Saves trips to the parts store.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Thank you.

I will do it like you explane me

Greetings from Austria