Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Undercarriage Rust Holes Van Econoline

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Default Undercarriage Rust Holes Van Econoline

Well, I decided to do some serious cleaning... For the first time, after vacuuming everywhere, I removed the scuff plates and pulled the factory pad/rubber flooring back... I was greeted to rust holes where the factory shelving was anchored, no surprise there and they will be manageable, but I have two huge square holes at the attachment point for the cross floor support between the two rear wheel wells... And if that is not enough, the driver's floor area is one big hole (after I cleaned out the stratified layers of rust...

I am pretty sick over this. I wrenched for a living and had my own shop until moving on to other opportunities, so, I know how to maintain a vehicle.

This van is a 1996 E-250 with the 4.9L, straight 6, and has 200K on it but the exterior is near perfect, as well as, the interior. I put a Jasper engine in 25K ago (and, hoses, belts, water pump, radiator), and would you believe, I put in an used 63K transmission in last month. Within the last 25K miles, when I decided to keep and maintain this van rather than move on to another used van (or buy new), a Jasper engine, the above mentioned tranny, front brakes, front springs, front shocks, ball joints, rebuilt alternator.

The system needed to be re flashed by the dealer when the engine was put in, and they could not get it to work, so that let to a new computer, mass air flow meter, two O2 sensors, and a few smaller items before I told them to take a hike. I will NEVER go to a Ford dealer again.

Anyway..., as you can see have a few $$$ invested in this van...

So...

1. Has anyone out there seen this type of breakdown? The beams and cross supports are fine but the floor is like it is melting away. I have never seen anything like this.

2. If I wanted to transfer the drain train and all the shiny new parts to another van that is newer, when does the 1996 design change to make this impractical?

I can deal with anything mechanical but rust like this...

Thanks, in advance...

Last edited by Virg54; 12-08-2012 at 09:24 PM.