Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

weight distribution on leafs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Default weight distribution on leafs

I just returned from a 3 week tour with my band in my E-150. It has 200,000 miles on it and still going strong. We have a really nice setup in there too. I built a big "cage" right inside the (double) side door so we could load right into the venue from the sidewalk. The weight from all our equipment, being all right behind the passenger seat, gives the van a slight tilt and is wearing the suspension. We love this setup so much that we are willing to customize the van to keep it. What are some ways I will be able to legitamitly load alot of weight on one side of the van and not have it tilt nor wear down the suspension? I need idea's. I doubt 4 new heavy duty shocks would do it but I could be wrong. I'm thinking I am goning to have to swap out 1 leaf spring with something heavier. But then I would have to always have that weight there. Any idea's? That's what I really need. Just a few idea's. Thanks alot. MARK

Old 05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Default RE: weight distribution on leafs

There is no legal way to have all the weight to one side. It's not just suspension envolved but steering and braking. If the weight is not to heavy, you can put counterweight on the opposite side. If it's already effecting the suspension then think what it is doing to the other envolved componenets. If the counterweight brings the total over your max GVW, then you need a bigger van. The convience can be dangerous and you may have to rethink the layout.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Good point. The steering and braking has actually been superb. better then ever actually. Its funny because honestly, there is probably only about 300 or so pounds in that cage, and then the person sitting in the passengerseat. on the other side we have a person in the drivers seat, a person right behing the drivers seat, and all our canned goods and little things that amount to weight. i orignially figured it would have evened out. would it be possible to maybe put rear leaf springs in from a 250 or 350? would that help keep the van level when there's weight on one side? Also, eventually i am going to put in 4 new shocks. I'm sure you would reccomend I go with something heavy duty, right? I'm pretty sure we will end up having to just rethink a better counter weight but I figured there has gotta be a way to have an extra few hundred pounds on one side. especially the way they are customizing cars today. thanks for your feedback!!!! MARK

Old 05-04-2006, 06:01 PM

I wouldn't say your overweight and if you distribute the weight, keeping your cage in mind, you'll be okay. Adding larger springs may not be the advantage you think. They won't turn the van into a heavy duty and changes the camber etc.. Obviosly you need to replace the suspension due to wear, so why not put in airbags as well. Doing so allows a better ride when empty and some compensation when reaching the maximum load. I am contempalting doing the same. I deliver office supply and sometimes doing as you and putting more weight on one side then the other. I agree that the steering dosen't seem effected but I do have new tires as well. Perhaps the ABS keeps the braking on the straight and narrow.