Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Whats wrong with my steering??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Default Whats wrong with my steering??

I hit a pothole today and my steering got really wierd. It kind of felt like the time I hit a pothole and dropped a tierod. As in the steering seems a little late. But my linkage and balljoints are fine.Themost noticable symptom is there is no pressure at all to return the wheel. None. I mean even with the front wheels off the ground, you should still feel backpressure. The wheel will stay exactly where you put it and drive that direction. I'm thinking my box is shot or needs a serious adjustment. What is the problem? The pump or the box? I want it to be the pump because that has a lifetime guarentee. Any suggestions? Its definitly not the alignment.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Whats wrong with my steering??

Hasthe amount 'effort' during steering, or rotating stop to stop changed? Almost like thewheels/chassis weight have beenlifted off the ground?

Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Default RE: Whats wrong with my steering??

The power steering is definitly still working. I've driven with no power steering so I know it pretty well. At first thought, I thought the steering column was binding up somehow. The amount of effort needed to steer may have gone up a little but barley enough to notice. I can't explain how the wheel feels when I turn. Its kind of like when I dropped my tierod, there is some slack and it feels a little late. The most noticable problem tho, is you can literally turn all the way to one side, take your hands off the wheel and nail the gas, and the steeringwill hold the exact position. This happened in a slit second, not over time. And the pothole may not of had anything to do with it. It's gotta be either the box or the pump, like a line is clogged somewhere. I just don't want to replace both of them. Do you think maybe the box skipped a tooth?