Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Ford Edge ABS Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Default Ford Edge ABS Steering Problem

I have been having a problem with a 2010 Ford Edge Limited and the ABS system acting up as of the last few days. To be as brief and descriptive as I can, after a large rain in the area my wife being the primary driver called from work and stated the vehicle was “jerking” when driving. I advised her to turn off the “traction control” option on the panel above the climate control and below the radio area. She made it home and the next day she took the second vehicle and I began investigating the problem. The rain had stopped and I went for a test drive and even with dry roads and sunny skies it would still “jerk” while driving. I was seeing the ABS light flash when it would “grab and jerk” while driving. It is on an “intermittent” scale if that make sense. In other words...you can drive a few feet and it will be ok and then suddenly it would “grab” once or twice and “release”. Nothing steady and no rhyme or reason when it would happen. It seems it does not matter if the traction control is on or off, the problem still exist.

After an amount of time researching I found a “code scanner” tool called “BlueDriver” would be able to view and clear any OBDII codes along with any ABS codes. I did make the purchase and after using the device I have received the following codes under the Anti-Lock Brake Module Codes. They are “C196 Stability Control Inhibit Warning” and “C127 Steering Wheel Angle 1 and 2 Signal Fault”

The BlueDriver does give an option to submit a scan and receive a Repair Report for the submitted codes. (Screen Caps on Imgur Below) This is the reason I am looking at having to replace a Ford dealer only part as none of the aftermarket auto repair stores carry the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor and even when they tell me it is “Order Only” it is $100 + on cost. I haven’t actually called a dealership to inquire about the availability and cost as I am only about 90% + sure the replacement of the part will fix the problem. My local O’reilly guy who has been exceptionally helpful did show me the “order” screen and from one of the YouTube videos and him I have deciphered it to be between $150 to $200 from the dealership.

I have searched and inquired from O’Reilly Auto, AutoZone and Advanced Auto locally and Rock Auto and Amazon online. I did find Amazon has it listed but it is from an approved vendor and not an actual Amazon product.

Things I have checked.

I have removed the front wheels and I have inspected the Tone Rings for damage and I did not see any damage, rust or looseness of the rings on the front. The Tone Ring Sensors do seem to be intact and are not damaged or broken. They trace back into the fender well and I have not traced them to where they are connected to the system or sensor under the hood. I am not 100% certain where to look.

I have decided to come here to the Ford Forum to find any advice or an answer to my delima. I am proficient using a volt/ohm meter and I have a wide range of hand tools, jack stands and a decent 3 ton jack to lift the car and inquire of any request that would be made from the forum. Your questions, answers and comments are welcome.

Imgur Post Of Screenshots of Codes

https://imgur.com/uLim9Ti

YouTube Videos (! NOTICE ! : I understand not all videos state the Ford Edge in them. They may be for the Escape or Focus or other FORD vehicle with similar problem. I am using them as a guide as to what to expect on my problem-Thanks for understanding)

Replacing the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor

ABS Tone Ring Repair

Amazon Parts
Steering Wheel Angle Sensor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01BTUKLJO/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01BTUKLJO/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

BlueDriver Codes

BlueDriver Report

BlueDriver Report

BlueDriver Report

BlueDriver Report

BlueDriver Report