Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Speed lock? Won’t go over 80mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 09:26 AM
Default Speed lock? Won’t go over 80mph

My 2014 Ford Edge started acting weird after my oil change the other day I was on interstate cruise control set at 75 and I was trying to go faster with pedal to get around truck and it’s like the car didn’t want to go over 80 I cut cruise off and tried again still didn’t want to. I had to take my foot off gas completely and then press it to make it go and it’s done it 3x since then. HELP
As far as I know nothing different happened during oil change I use same shop every time

Last edited by Raven Entrekin; 10-18-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:09 PM

Do you have my key turned on? It can be set to limit vehicle speed.
What is your vehicles mileage?
What engine do you have?
Have you done any preventative maintenance?

Old 10-18-2020, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
What engine do you have?

I think it’s automatically on I have the baseline model. I’m not sure how I would turn it off I’ve gone through the menu on my steering to see if I accidentally turned something on and all it has is trip 1 & 2 then the settings which don’t say anything about my key. I have a v6 automatic transmission and I get my oil changed every time it’s due if that’s what you mean. Never had any issues except this last time he did say I had corn kernels in my air filter but he cleaned it out so I’m not sure if that would do anything. It’s like it’s hesitant to pickup and go when I hit the gas sometimes if I let off and then press it’ll go and get up to 90 etc but I don’t like that it tries to not let me sometimes. It’s only got 60k on it 2 owner including me very well kept

Old 10-20-2020, 08:33 AM

Mykey does not come from the factory tuned on, I dont not know if mykey is only for certain trim levels, the vehicles I have seen with it turned on have been very obvious when the vehicle was started.
Preventive maintenance does include oil changes but generally when mentioned means more along the lines of cleaning the throttle body, changing the spark plugs, changing the air filter, flushing fluids.
It sounds like you havent done any of these yet, I would leave it at a shop so they can duplicate the issue and see if there are any fault codes present.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:07 AM

I only have 1 key and there was a previous owner I know when I would crank it up it said my key active but now it doesn’t it Does the square like it’s going to but it’s blank I called and got a key quoted to get a second one to maybe see about getting it programmed but it’s $297 so that’s why I posted here to see if maybe anybody else had a similar issue. Because the dealership says that they only have one key for it and it’s the one that I have so I don’t know it’s just really annoying because I drive on the interstate a lot and sometimes I do have to go over 80 and when I need to speed up I need to be able to go instead of it hesitating to go I haven’t had to have any spark plugs or anything else changed because the car is only four years old

Old 04-02-2021, 10:22 PM

If mykey is active you have to buy a key..It wont go away!!

Old 04-06-2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by scott.butler4
What engine do you have?

No it’s not active it doesn’t pop up like it used to saying it was active. I’ve got the v6 3.5 L mileage is 69k and I get my oil and basic stuff done every 5000 miles

Old 10-12-2021, 10:14 AM
Old 10-12-2021, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JeepHer74

i don’t have another key. My key was the admin key and then somehow after getting the corrosion protection felt replaced on my battery it’s like it doesn’t recognize my key as the admin key anymore. The car only came with one key and the dealership doesn’t have a second either

Old 12-15-2021, 01:21 PM

I think Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1&2 cause this problem