Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

'13 Eco 2.0 engine performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 12:33 PM
Default '13 Eco 2.0 engine performance issues

2013 Escape 2.0L Ecoboost. I've owned since 7K miles, now 240K miles. I have maintained this vehicle myself on everything that has gone wrong (which is not much, fantastic vehicle), exceeded recommended fluid changes on tranny, torque converter, etc. The first symptoms yesterday involved odd transmission shifting issues and lack of performance. Drove it further, the engine just didn't have good performance overall. No check engine light. Parked, and drove later, and this time super poor performance with no acceleration. Check engine light came on.
Scanned codes and I failed to photograph the tech's computer, but three codes came up crankshaft position sensor error, turbo under boost and turbo over boost. Car idols fine. Engine is sluggish and symptoms really fluctuate. No unusual engine sounds currently, but did her some kind of rattling when the car performed at it's worst for a short moment.
Has anyone seen this? If it is a simple sensor, great. I don't feel like throwing parts at this vehicle or being thrown over the coals by mechanics I don't really trust..
Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:31 AM

My vehicle coincidentally performed a little better after posting this, and the check engine light went off on it's own. I slowly revved the engine from idle to 4,000 RPMs before slowly decelerate the engine to idle. At 2500 RPMs I could hear the turbo wastegate making an obvious slapping/ticking sound. After researching this online, I thought I would install a new Turbo Control Solenoid Valve, and that was it. Problem fixed, runs like a dream! Hope this helps someone..
My local stealership wanted $110 for the part, but found an OEM part from a good dealership on Ebay for $50.