Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2013 2.0 AWD Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 AM

I have been using Shell or other Top Tier gas providers (Shell whenever it was available). I have been using the Hi Test Shell in my Harley for the last 10 years or so. When I clean the filter the throttle body is spotless.

I had a 2004 F-150 and used regular gas. After 30,000 miles I had to have the top end cleaned since there was so much carbon build up throughout the throttle body. So, I have become a believer of using Top Tier gas in all my vehicles.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Lightbulb Intelligent 4 x 4 screen on 2013 Titanium

I drive around watching the Intelligent 4x4 screen to see how much power is applied to the wheels and I find that ALL 4 wheels get power applied on EVERY start to about 200 or 300 yards then it's just the front wheels getting power. it doesn't matter warm or cold.
I was wondering if anyone else sees this and if it could be the reasons for our poorer MPG? I am getting about 22 to 23 mpg and I consider myself a 'light foot'. My drive is about 80% hyway and I never get better than 23 mpg.
I have almost 3000 miles already and nothing has changed.

Thanx for the info.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Default Intelligent 4 wheel drive

In response to the post by Sportclimber, I have checked the Intelligent 4x4 screen on numerous occasions and have found that in general it starts with all four and transitions to the front two. However, it does react differently, depending on conditions. The other day I was towing a trailer (1000 lbs total). Starting on a grassed hill at our cottage I noted that only the rear wheels pulled initially and then it transferred to 4 wheel drive and then to front wheel drive. I launched rationally, and the wheels did not spin. Overall, I've been very happy with the operation of the drive train.

Regarding mileage, the worst I've gotten on a tank is just shy of 25 miles/US gal. I generally will do a bit more highway driving than city driving on any tank. I do note that where I've filled up and driven only around town, I average around 20 mpg. That average improves quickly when I get on the highway.

I only use regular gas, filling up at Shell or Costco as a rule.

I have the 2.0 ltr Titanium.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Just an update. I have over 3000 miles on my titanium and the average is 25 MPG. That is 2+ mountain trips which gets me better mileage due to the glide on the down side.
I just installed the latest Sync update online and the only thing I noticed was the outside temp is now displayed near the display time/clock. Took 30 minutes to install.

Cheers
T

Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 PM

I've had my 2013 2.0 Escape for over 6 months and about 8k miles.
I can say without any reservation that I am dissatisfied with the gas mileage. I'm struggling to keep it over 21 average. Granted I'm in the Northeast and we're on winter gas still. I'd expect it to jump by probably 2 mpg when we switch to summer gas.
Here's a scenario that I tried a few weeks ago. I know I was going to be doing a stretch of about 100 miles of mostly interstate. I reset the calculator, and got about 25 and change for that 100 mile trip. I then resumed my normal driving, which unfortuantely includes normal suburban commute traffic, but does have some highway. I've watched that average drop down through the 24s, 23s, 22s, and 21s during the 4 weeks or so since then.
Plus I'll say that the mileage acts like the dow average. When it's going up, it creeps. When it drops, it's a rock. One traffic jam and it's ruined.
Disappointing.

By comparison, v6 4-runner I traded in got about 19-20 winter and 21-22 summer. Reason for trading up? NEEDED BETTER GAS MILEAGE FOR NEW LONGER COMMUTE. Feel like I was misled.

Last edited by SteveB23; 02-17-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: add info
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 PM

The wife's 2006 Mercury Montego Premier AWD. Computer display says 13.1 mpg. Pitiful. Simply pitiful.
The car never leaves town. 1.8 miles to work. 1.8 miles back home. The engine never really is warm enough to drive the water out of the oil. The computer 'sees this and oil changes are often using Ford's full synthetic oil. There is about 16,000 miles on it in 7 years. Interestingly, the computer keeps track of the total amount of gas that has been pumped into the tank. I don't have these figures.

My Ford 1997 5.4 Expedition sometimes has a better mpg on long trips when using cruse. About 16.2 mpg at 55 mph.

skip.

Last edited by skip1930; 02-17-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 AM

Has anyone tried a K&N air filter? This YouTube reviewer claims a 4 mpg increase
after switching to a K&N. (about 4:15 in)

Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Exclamation

E-2993 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter direct from K&N

This is the link to "THAT" K&N filter ($81+). I plan to give it a try as I have used K&N before and loved them. It will take a little while to recoup that $$ even at an assumed 10% improvement(~2.5 mpg).

My mpg is still about 21-22. with my 10ish miles of highway and 2+ in town each way everyday. I am at 6000 ft elevation (Denver) and run 85 octane w/10% ethanol. 22 mpg may be good for these conditions, but, it is just too much effort to get good mileage.
I have over 6000 miles on it now and 'seems' to be easier getting 22-ish mpg.
I REALLY LOVE the 4x4 capabilities in the snow and ice. If it starts sliding, just give it gas and it pulls thru nicely.

More later
Thom

Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Default Octane Recommendations for the 2.0 Ecoboost

I just took a look at the manual and it recommends using a minimum of 87 octane fuel. It also says that in some higher altitude locations regular fuel is sometimes lower than 87 octane and is not recommended. For Sportclimber, it might be worthwhile to see if your mileage noticeably improves with a higher octane fuel.

My son has a new F-150 with the V8 and he noticed that using E85 (allowed with that engine) gave him considerably worse mileage than regular.

I have noted that my mileage on the Escape has gotten a lot worse over winter (Ottawa , Ontario, Canada). It has dropped to 12.5 l/100km, or 19 mpg, and sometimes worse. However, my winter driving is on Michelin X-Ice xi3 winter tires and the trips are almost exclusively in the city.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:12 PM

I have been documenting the first 6000 miles well and plan to use 91 octane in subsequent tanks and will l let everyone know soon.
Thx
T

Quick Reply: 2013 2.0 AWD Gas Mileage