Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Adding foglights to 2006/07 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:54 PM
moj
Default Adding foglights to 2006/07 Escape

Hi -

I just ordered an 07 escape XLS without the foglights on the front bumper. It looks like the 06 and 07 are the same design (possibly 05 as well?) From what I could tell looking at an 06 on the lot it looks fairly simple. I was wondering if the wiring harness was already in place and it was just a matter of purchasing the foglights and the oem switch. Anyone done this?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Default RE: Adding foglights to 2006/07 Escape

I have an 05 XLS and it wasn't that simple. There wasn't the necessary wiring to just plug in the lamps and a switch, and according to my dealer, the switch involves more than just turning the lights on and off--something about how they are linked to the headlamp operation, if I remember correctly. Anyway, in the end, it would have been too expensive to include all of this necessary wiring to make it emulate an OEM setup, so they installed a separate generic rocker switch under the steering column which turns the lights on/off regardless of whether the key is in the ignition (hot lead).

If I were to go back, I wouldn't have bothered, but since they already had everything open, it ended up costing me about $400.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM

i have an '06 XLS 2.3L manual. it came without fog lights. i bought the factory lights and the switch from the dealer parts department. i cut out the round "plugs" for the fog lights [carefully, in the groove] the lights mount the same as factory into provided screw lugs in the plastic from behind. the front part of the inner fender must be removed for access[not too bad,really] i then [carefully] pried out the plug for the switch from the dash. plugged in the switch and snapped it in to place and VIOLA!! NO LIGHTS!! checked everything, plugs and relays and fuse ALL FACTORY PROVIDED!! turns out the SMART JUNCTION BOX must be informed [programmed] by the dealer; takes about 20 seconds through the OBD port. suggest negotiate the programming at the time of purchasing parts. mine work exactly as factory. good luck, it's really not too tough. my parts totalled about $130. they gigged me for an hour labor $95.50 for programming; don't let that happen to you! { ask for courtesy} then settle for $25[lol]

Old 11-10-2006, 10:28 PM

I went through the same thing, BUT, check with your friends, they may have "friends in higher places"
Turns out a guy I know works for a local ford dealer and he programmed the lights for free. Found a set
of lights at the wrecker, traded them for a case of beer at closing time. Mechanics love beer at closing time.

The most time consuming thing was taking off the front bumber.. They have put screws in places you wouldnt
thing of........ My total cost was $45 for the beer and $47.50 for the dash switch from Ford.

Thanks to Ford for pre-running the wires in the 2006's....

Old 09-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Default fog lights

I also bought a XLS 5 speed manual with no fog lights and I was wondering if you have to take the bumber off to put the fog lights in? Also where are the wires that come down to the actual lights? Are they right there where you can see them or are they hidden?