Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

code

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Default code

Can anybody tell me what the P0430 code is? I have an 02 escape with just under 87000 miles on it. replaced the back cat. and now i'm getting this code.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: code

P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Was PO430 present before, or the suspected reasonfor the cat replacement?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:51 PM

There were no codes before hand. My car running rough and when it rained the check engine light would flash, but when it dried out it ran fine. The mechanic said it sounded like the cat. we had it replaced andthe rear cat was about half filled with a bunch of gross looking black stuff. Also had a tune up done for good measure with new spark plugs and also a fuel system cleaner. ran fine for about 4-5 days then started running a little rough again. light came back on yesterday after being off for about 6 days.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:49 AM

The rough running is what set the check engine lite. Have the codes checked. The shop that did the tuneup should do it for free. The rough running was what caused the cat failure as raw fuel was being dumped into it.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:52 PM

What would be a way to fix that? We had the codes ran and it was p0430.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 AM

The code is the end result of a problem. Sometimes it only tells you part of the story.Yes, P0430 says that the cat is operating in an ineffective manner. But that doesn't tell you why. You have to look at the rest of the system to see what is going on. The clue here, sounds like you engine is not running right. That would be the rough running part of it. You have to find out why it is running rough. Remember, any fuel not properly burned during the combustion cycle will be burned in the cat. But at the same time, the cat is using up it's oxygen bed to do this. That may make it no more than a combustion cylinder, itself. That would make the sensor signal the same after the cat as before the cat. That is what sets the code. It also shortens the life of the cat. I hate to say it, but some aftermarket cats cannot take much of this, as they are not made with much cadmium. That is the element that causes the cat to work in the first place. Take it back to you mechanic and have him look at it again.