Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Coolant change

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2020, 01:04 PM
Cool Coolant change

Hi all
OK, first time I'm changing the coolant in my friends 2006 Ford Escape (yes I'm on a Ford forum)
So I've been reading and some sites say there is a coolant drain plug on the block.. If anyone Knows
if this is true, could you please tell em the location.
Another question is the automatic door lock inertia switch location. That's a mouth full
sometimes when the Escape moves forward the doors lock and the warning light on the dash panel goes out
sometimes they do not lock and the warning light stays on. And sometimes when driving the peep will sound
being linked to the door locks...
So if anyone know the location of this switch could you please tell me.
BTW.. using the manual lock switch sometimes does not turn the light off, even if it does lock the doors.
Thanks

Old 05-20-2020, 11:25 AM

Ford does not list a engine block coolant drain. Just use the radiator drain, if you really want you can pull take off a engine coolant hose and let that drain out too, in my opinion its not worth it, I just open my radiator drain and let it empty out when I change my coolant.

OK on to the automatic door lock inertia switch location, which warning light are you talking about/what message is displayed?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:17 AM

Seems kinda stupid not to have a way of draining most of the water from a black, in the older days
we had removable freeze plugs, and few blocks had although not called drain plugs would release water from the block.
I think the Escape uses 10qts of coolant...
about the inertia locks. the door lock icon in the instrament panels.. Indicates if a door or rear window is open..
It is set by either by the switch on the door or by the forward movement of the car. Just need to find the location
of that switch...

Old 05-21-2020, 07:26 AM

3.0 engine takes 10 liters of yellow coolant.

So are you saying the door ajar light is on?