Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Factory Class II 4 Wire Molex Connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Default Factory Class II 4 Wire Molex Connector

First time poster. Just picked up a 2011 Escape and it had the factory installed class II towing package. Went to tow a small trailer and the generic 4 pin molex power connector just wouldn't fit in, it looked like the plastic portion that 'keys' the connector in the right way on the female side (on the ford) is just a tad bit smaller than the male portion on the trailer. I thought nothing of it and tried to trim down the male side in order to at least have functioning lights. Managed to cram it in.

Just picked up a Bully Ford hitch receiver cover (powered) and was pretty excited to hook it up and the exact same issue is facing me. I really don't want to trim this down and want a proper fit. Is this something that's an issue on the Ford side itself and should be looked at since the Generic connectors seem a bit bigger no matter what? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Should I just try to put some lube on the male end (suppressing laughter now at how bad this sounds) to get it in there better without trimming it down?

Thanks