Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Got a New Escape

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Default Got a New Escape

Well we pulled the trigger and bought a new 2019 Ford Escape Titanium last Friday.

I have a question about the Auto Stop/Start. We have been driving with it engaged. Sometimes when sitting at a light and I have not eased off on the brake pedal at all, the engine will start and the green light go out. Other times the engine stays off until I move. What is causing the different behavior?

On the NAV, any secret way to disable the driving interlock. Mostly it is my wife & I in the car, so whoever is not driving can operate this. And it is such a stupid interlock. I mean I put a music flash drive in and I can completely browse folders and song titles while driving and there are a ton of other things I can do with the screen while driving (that can take away my attention to the road, just as much as typing an address). Yet only the destination setting is blocked. In truth, none should be blocked. Personal responsibility, a driver should be smart enough to not do something unsafe. It should not be the car manufacturers or the government to micro manage this sort of thing.

Also, any way to disable the seat belt dinging or the dinging if you want to sit in the car (stopped) with a door open.

Last edited by QuiGonJohn; 07-10-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:32 AM

I've noticed on my 2019 Escape SE that with the auto stop/start engaged, when at a light, the engine will start after 30 seconds. I was thinking this might be a timing setting that anticipated a light change.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

As far as I know the Drive Lock can’t be eliminated. It’s a safety feature, and there isn’t a programming override.
The Auto Start/Stop IMO is a terrible feature in the name of emissions reg.
Obviously you can cancel it on a start up, but you can get a plug n play module kit to eliminate the feature all together..

Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM

I know "they" consider the drive lock a safety feature. But as I said, it is VERY STUPID, because there are a myriad of other things you can do, interfacing with that screen, that take just as much attention away from the road (if the driver is doing this). And the bigger problem of our society, that companies and government are trying to be babysitters. With all you can do on the screen already, you should be able to do any function, including setting a destination. It should be on the driver to be smart enough, responsible enough, not to do this if it is taking away too much attention. And when the driver has a passenger, then the passenger can be messing with this, no problem.

I have not made any conclusions about the Auto Start/Stop, but am curious as why you think it is a terrible feature.

What is the plug n play you mention? They should modify the system so in Settings you could enable or disable this, like Easy Entry/Exit.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Default Start/?Stop use and Destination when driving

I disable the start/stop as I need my A/C running when stopped here in Arizona. As for the destination locked when driving I use the voice commands built in to the Sync unit and can set new destinations and way points. I have the 2019 Titanium 4wd.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

My opinion on auto start,, just my 0.2
Is even though tested to high start count conditions, is wear. And, it’s just annoying...
And after 35 years of bending wrenches, working on potential stumbling, stalling vehicles,, I just can’t get on board with the feature.
The auto start utilizes many inputs and combinations of for feature control, steering angle, brake pressure, A.C. demand, towing/not etc.
In high traffic, stop n go, it may save some fuel costs, but that savings will be paid back in later years.

There’s auto start eliminators that plug onto the back of the cancel switch affectivly disabling the feature. Depending on switch type. Trucks can plug a trailer connector tester into the 7 way and the feature cancels by default..

Last edited by Hayapower; 07-12-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Don-N-AZ
I disable the start/stop as I need my A/C running when stopped here in Arizona. As for the destination locked when driving I use the voice commands built in to the Sync unit and can set new destinations and way points. I have the 2019 Titanium 4wd.
I monitored my autostop/start at a light, and my A/C continued to run during the engine 'stop'. Are you seeing something different?

Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM

There is something in my SETTINGS menu (Driver Info Screen) that says "Auto Start" I have unchecked this, but nothing seems any different. I thought maybe this was a way to disable Auto Stop/Start permanently. Does anyone know what this menu option does?

Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiGonJohn
There is something in my SETTINGS menu (Driver Info Screen) that says "Auto Start" I have unchecked this, but nothing seems any different. I thought maybe this was a way to disable Auto Stop/Start permanently. Does anyone know what this menu option does?
The same thing happened to me. It was while I had been driving for awhile when I changed it and nothing changed when I stopped at a light (engine stopped). I did see on another post, I think, that the change might have to be done 'at startup'. I haven't tried that yet, nor checked to see if the 'Auto Start' is still unchecked. Next time in my car, I will take a look before driving, if I remember.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:08 PM

Actually I just checked this. It is under SETTINGS, then VEHICLE and it says AUTO ENGINE OFF. And if you uncheck this, then turn the car off, next time you turn it on, it is checked again. And I also tested my button for Auto Stop/Start and yes, if you turn it off, it is back on next time you start the car. One of those two settings should let you turn it off until you turn it back on yourself.

Quick Reply: Got a New Escape