Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Loud click when shift it to Drive or Revers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Question Loud click when shift it to Drive or Revers

Hi guys!
I have a 2007 Ford Escape FWD with an automatic transmission. When I put it in D or R position it shifts with a very loud click(snap). A weird metallic noise(metal to metal). After that it runs smooth, no problem with shifting at all. I have the feeling though that it would brake the transmission or something. It has just 15000 miles on it and I have no idea what the problem could be.
Someone gave me the following advice:
. Drop and clean the transmission pan, change the filter, and refill with either Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF or Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF. You will be glad you did. Do this every 30,000 miles, particularly on Ford Escapes. The first change is the most important.

. When parking the car, apply brake pedal, shift into Park, and then apply the parking brake. Apply the parking brake before taking your foot off the brake pedal. This prevents undue force having to be applied to the gear shift selector, in order to shift into Drive or Reverse.

. Disconnect the negative battery cable overnight. This will force the PCM to relearn all shift points, etc.

I tried everything. I also checked the mounts for wearing (I don’t thing this would be the case though. The car has 15.000 miles).

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!