Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

New Escape Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Default New Escape Owner

Hello everyone.
I got my first escape 08 a couple of months ago. So far its been great. i think the Gas Mileage could be better!
I've gone from driving GM sedans, like the Impala & Buick Century, so its taking some time to feel comfortable on the road.
What I'm experiencing is I think I am going much faster then I am! Also I don't feel as stable on the road or highway as I did after 8 years in a Sedan. I suppose I've never had a truck period!
I know this is all in my head, but has any one else experienced thisawkard adjusting?I just want to start feeling at ease!

Cheers,

RB

Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Default RE: New Escape Owner

my history is as follows: economy cars in Europe, minivans in Canada then the Escape.
"downgrading" from a minivan that felt like a lorry but drove like a Nissan Versa, I've had my adjusting times as well. first off, the Escape is a model known particularly for rollovers. your senses are not tricking you, the car has a higher center of gravity than a sedan and you definitely would NOT attempt to do whatever maneuvers you would do with a flat, wide and heavy car. also the suspension is a bit more rigid, because as "cute ute" as it is, the Escape is also a 4x4 - or at least tries to be. whoever designed it had in mind that it should withstand at least some mild rough terrain. on top of that all, driving with your head at least a meter higher than you were used to also causes your perception to be a bit distorted, especially if you had low cars for a long while.
finally, speed-wise, what I would advise you to do is to have a GPS in the car and set one of the fields to display your current speed. it cured me of any illusions, both of slugging and / or speed grandeur it also helped me note the offset the speedometer has (it actually shows more than the actual speed, if, say, the car displays 110 km/h I am actually driving at 105-107) - good thing to know when you're driving into speed trap zones or have to argue with the hway patrol.
all in all, your symptoms are not uncommon. enjoy the Escape, take it easy and keep in mind what the sun screen stickers say - no excessive speed, no sudden maneuvers . welcome to the club!