Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

rear window exploded

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Default rear window exploded

I have a 2001 escape. Last year at this time my rear window blew out for no reason, and today it happened again. It was about 5 degrees here in NY this AM, and it was not parked in the garage over night. My question is my rear window defrost. When I turn my truck off, if I don't turn the defrostoff manually it is automatically on when I start the truck again. Could this have anything to do with the window shattering? I can't figure this out, thank goodness I have glass coverage.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Default RE: rear window exploded

took the escape in for the new rear window replacement, they said theright top hinge was corroded and broke, and the undue pressure on the window could have blew it out. The window is covered by insurance but the hinge is 45.00. Could have been worse.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update...

Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, that is crazy. Glad they were able to see the problem and fixed at a minimal cost to you.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 PM

I am glad to have found this on here. I just woke up this morning to my back window of my 2005 escape being totally shattered. I did not know how this happened. We checked the truck carefully to see if some kid threw something into the window, and did not see anything. I was going to call the police and report this, seeing how it is around Christmas. My truck is still under warranty and I plan on taking it to the dealer first thing on Monday. This is something that needs to be addressed and even a possible recall if you ask me. So if there are anymore people out there who this has happened to, please contact Ford so that we may help others who this might happen to in the future.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM

PS by the way, I have never had a problem with the rear defrost turning on when I start my truck. Or being left on I should say.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 AM
Vee
Unhappy Mystery

Hi, just googled exploding rear window and found your thread. My rear window exploded while my car was sitting in our garage. It hasn't been driven at all for a couple of days and it is night so not very hot. Nothing touched or is anywhere near the car. It is a BF Falcon XR8. I am in Australia so the circumstances are a little different to you guys but quite mysterious all the same. I will be contacting Ford to see what their response is.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Exclamation Wierd!! My 2006 escape rear window exploded also!

I came out to get in my car the night before and my rear window was shattered and at first I thought someone was trying to get in it, but I had parcels in there and also my purse was left on my passenger seat and nothing was touched! and we live in the country. Just before Chrstmas! urgghh. I now have to call my insurance company, I just got off the phone with Ford and they said no recalls and that more less you can't beleieve everything you read on the internet.( I told him of all the reports here on this page) FORD SHOULD COVER THE COST OF THESE INCIDENCES BECAUSE IT IS ONLY RIGHT. WE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING FOR THIS TO HAPPEN IT IS A DEFECT IN THE VEHICLE!!!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Deb,

Good Luck with the dealer, however if they (locally) do not step up, you might elevate this to a district manager. Gosh, forget about everthing you read on the internet, check out the glass in the rear of the vehicle.....

Please report back with their/your resolution.

Have a great Sunday & Merry Christmas,

Gary

Old 01-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Default 2007 Escape Hybrid Rear Window Exploded Too

Last night we were sitting at a traffic light. The vehicle was warmed up and it was raining. Suddenly we hear a loud noise like a gunshot and find that the back window shattered and exploded out. The hinges that held the rear window in place fell out, the rear wiper housing stayed in the door at least. The front windshield got a hairline crack that runs from the driver's side to the passenger side but didn't shatter or break. Very weird. I think that this vehicle had defective glass put in. Made a claim on my auto insurance under comprehensive. Hopefully the replacement glass and hinges will hold for the lifetime of this car.

I've had many Ford vehicles, but this is the first one that I've owned that has had "quirks". The service brake light comes on randomly. I've had to replace all 4 brakes and rotors because they were down to bare metal with only 31,000 miles on the car.

Love my car and how it drives but I have some concerns as to the safety and reliability of it. Will it last as long as the car loan?

Quick Reply: rear window exploded