Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Swapped Seatbelts and seats, airbag light issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Default Swapped Seatbelts and seats, airbag light issue

Hi,

I’m new to the forum so hello. My wife has a 2008 Ford Escape XLT V6 4wd that was in desperate need of the interior to be refreshed. Over the last two months I’ve begun to replace the seats and then all the seatbelts. They were replaced because they looked really filthy even if cleaned. I also replaced the head liner if that matters. The seats are from a Mercury Mariner (leather) and the seatbelts are from the same vehicle. After replacing the seat/belts last night, I noticed the air bag is staying on and stays solid. I’ll start it, all the lights on the instrument panel appear then go away but the air bag light.

I havent begun to troubleshoot as it was late last night when I noticed this issue. I’m sure it’s something from the switch. I guess before I remove panels and seats I thought if anyone had any ideas of where I should start. I read briefly that torque of bolts may play a part. I used an impact driver to remove and install with no regard to torque specs. If that is a plausible issue, what would the torque specs be so I verify.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Did you disconnect the battery before doing the work?

The airbag light should be able to be reset with an aftermarket tool, and as long as there isn't anything wrong with the parts you installed it shouldn't come back on.